Crestliner Sabre 1989

nicknick

Hi guys, I’m from Canada and I rebuilding a Crestliner Sabre I bought, it’s clean and I’m converting it from inbord to outboard.

I ripped out the flooring and I’m in the process of putting the new floor in.

Do I have to put expansion foam or can I leave it bare?

Doesnt seem like it had any before, is there a law that you have to have some in?

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sounds like the floor has already been replaced before and the foam was removed at that time.

I just redid the floor in my sabre and there was factory foam still there and in good enough shape that I didn't replace.

Im not sure if its a legal requirement but I would definitely put new stuff in. If anything for the piece of mind knowing Illl be safer should the worst happen.

Sounds like the floor has already been replaced before and the foam was removed at that time.
I just redid the floor in my sabre and there was factory foam still there and in good enough shape that I didn't replace.
Im not sure if its a legal requirement but I would definitely put new stuff in. If anything for the piece of mind knowing Illl be safer should the worst happen.

I think most people use the expandable foam that comes in cans like paint.. Not sure if they do small sections so they can ream out the drain holes. Maybe run a line of rope through them and then pull it back and forth then pull it all the way out. Some guys use pool noodles , even read where someone was contemplating ping pong balls. You would have to check/Google Canadian boating laws in regard to legality. Think its something like 20' and under in the USA that it's required.

I think most people use the expandable foam that comes in cans like paint.. Not sure if they do small sections so they can ream out the drain holes. Maybe run a line of rope through them and then pull it back and forth then pull it all the way out. Some guys use pool noodles , even read where someone was contemplating ping pong balls. You would have to check/Google Canadian boating laws in regard to legality. Think its something like 20' and under in the USA that it's required.

• 3 weeks later...

For years foam floatation was not required for boat manufacturers in the US if the boat was over 20 ft.   I don't know if that requirement has charged in recent years, so this boat is likely over 20 ft and was built during that era.

If you decide to add foam, make sure it is a “closed cell” foam and not “open cell” foam. Open cell foam will absorb water more easily over time, closed cell foam better resists absorbing water though it will still take on some water over time if it’s someplace that can get wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United