Making a Meat Rig

Decided this year will be the year to finally throw meat into the mix. And since I'm the kind of person that enjoys catching fish from something I make myself I thought I would look into making meat rigs. What I have done so far is started with 3 arms length of 50lb flouro, snelled a treble on, added two beads, snelled an octopus on then a dreamweaver meat head. Up past the head I cut 3 trolling flies down to 2-2.5 inches for my teasers and put them on the line by looping small beads. Now heres my question.......... do I need to use a bead chain ??? My thought was to put a loop at the end like when making flies and this loop would connect to the snap swivel on the flasher and this would prevent line twist.

Looking forward to your input

I have been making them and have seen all the video. I have a ton of flies so cutting them down to 2.5" for teasers is no big deal. My only question was whether or not I needed a bead chain. At his point I think I'm going to add a ball bearing swivel roughly 18" above the meat head and tie the teasers above that. Put a loop on the flouro and attach that to the snap swivel on the flasher

1 minute ago, antney1 said:

I have been making them and have seen all the video. I have a ton of flies so cutting them down to 2.5" for teasers is no big deal. My only question was whether or not I needed a bead chain. At his point I think I'm going to add a ball bearing swivel roughly 18" above the meat head and tie the teasers above that. Put a loop on the flouro and attach that to the snap swivel on the flasher

I tie my own flies and make my own meat rigs. I do the same thing and cut down flies for teasers also. It is just more convenient then carrying a second stash of flies. I also loop the line through beads. Only one time did I ever have an issue. Line broke and it was caused from a sharp edge on the bead. Some guys use bead chains on the tag end and some dont. I do like the idea of tying one in just above your meat head so when you do need to retie then you just need to retie that small section. It sounds like a great idea but I will honestly never do it. It would certainly save me some money on fluorocarbon! But really bead chains certainly are not needed. I don't use them and don't plan to use them. I terminate my rigs with a simple surgeons loop (same as my flies) and it is very rare that I ever experience line twist. 

• 2 weeks later...