Ablative paint questions

phil2

I need to recoat the 262 this year. It has a ablative paint on it now. What does everyone recommend brand??? Previous owner cant remember brand. Its been on since 2011 and just started to show fiberglass because i went at it with scrub brush. 

Ablative bottom paints are very sensitive as to what you put them on, and what you are putting on them.  Some paints can be recoated over with only certain types of paint, while others can only go over certain types.  It would be really helpful if you knew what was on there.  Maybe your marina tech can help you.  It would be normal for it to come off somewhat easily if you went after it with a scrub brush.  They are kinda designed to do that.  They ablate or sluff off microscopically with the slime that grows.  If your current paint is covering the vast majority of the hull still, send it.  If it is getting thin, this might be the last season before a recoat.  If you can see your gelcoat over most of the area, it is time.  Jamestown Distributors, West Marine, etc. have a ton of reading you can do about bottom paints, and they sell every brand under the sun.  Good luck.

Matt

Good advice about Jamestown Distributors. They can tell you what you've got on there now, and how to prep it. It looks as though you're ready for a recoat to me after 8 years. 

If you determine you've gone an ablative paint on now,  I recommend Pettit Hydrocoat. Jamestown has it and will recommend it as well.

• Like 1

I like interlux products (just a personal preference no slam on any others) So I would call and talk to a tec. They are experts at it and always have helped me out. You know by the way when your calling them you're talking to a pro and not a salesman who was "told" but a guy who develops paint and works with it 5 days a week making sure it works the best it can. You have a lot of variables that you need to talk to them about.