Looking to upgrade my reels. Looking at the Okuma Cold Water Line Counter Reels, my question is what size would fit the bill best. Would I use the same size for mono on the planer boards, down rigging, also using wire.
30 series... CW303

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 10:15 PM, jth21usa said:

I also have 6 30 series on my boat, both downrigger and diver

I have 6 of the 30 size and 2 of the 45 size, the 30 size is prolly the most versatile imo. I have 30s spooled with mono, wire and leadcore on them, they all work great.

Edited by FishingFool34

9 hours ago, leadcore troller said:

Guys thanks for the input, guess i'll go with the 30's, was originally leaning towards the 20's only because of the higher retrive. 

Both Okuma Coldwater and Convectors (30 series) are available in high speed. 6.2 to 1 

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Okuma-Coldwater-High-Speed-Wire-Line-Reels?gclid=Cj0KCQjwg73kBRDVARIsAF-kEH-tqe7FDTChoCwEv2WAkcik87ZLDlx3AKCu8EWqOlLhG79Tz0fKlaMaAlUtEALw_wcB

2 hours ago, Traveling Circus said:

Can you fit 10 colors on a 30s reel?

Yup, I used 27lb leadcore and 30lb braid backing. I fit enough backing to be able to run it on in-line planers and land fish. It’s prolly a better fit on a 45 size reel but I didn’t have one at the time.

Edited by FishingFool34

• 5 weeks later...

30's for wire and lower LC.   45 for 10 color.   I changed my reels over last year.  Mostly for faster retrieve rate.  So much better.    10 Color would fit on the 30, but you'd be down to a pretty thin spool once it's all out and on a board.   That will decrease your line pickup.   

• 3 weeks later...