Beware if you buy your reels at BPS

I went in BPS today to exchange a $100 Pflueger reel I had bought in back in March because in was starting bind up like there was something wrong with the gears. I was told that BPS only guarantees reels made by some other than BPS for 30 days. That is absolutely ridiculous. No one ever told me that when I bought the reel and I've only fished with this reel a handful of times. What if you bought a reel and didn't use it for a month and the first time you used it i broke, your SOL if you ask BPS. This is crazy, I returned several reels that I've bought via mail order or online well after a year from the purchase date. I personally don't know if I will buy another expensive reel from them again. Thankfully there sales associates make up for there ridiculous rule. After complaining for a bit I got the guy to reluctantly exchange my reel for a new one. Then I had to purchase an expensive "gear guard" warrantee to extend my coverage on the reel from 30 days to 2 years. I like there just try to make a buck off it. Boy I really miss Darren at the old Fay's store in Ithaca. If you had any problem with anything you bought he would simply tell you to go and grab another one and you were back in business.

UOK:

What is the warranty from the reel maker?? I would think that they would be sensitive to your problems with their product? Talking with the factory might have shed some light on a problem or recall on this reel. At least you would have had the chance for discovery about your reel. I make a practice of never buying an extended service/warranty for anything, more than likely you will never need it, unless you buy the same product that had an infant failure, well maybe then???

It is good that you can start with a fresh reel, & good luck!!!

I am surprised that BPS or any retailer would replace a reel that has been in service for 7 months. The warranty is from the manufacturer and not the retailer. Your course of action should have been to contact the manufacturer and get a return authorization to have a defective reel repaired/replaced. I think that it speaks well of BPS that they replaced this reel.

Typically the factory 800 number is the way to go, they generally give you a repair authorization number and you pay shipping to the service center and back, often this adds up to $30, then you wait about 2 months+ and you get either a new one or a rebuild. This way if the item is under $100, they figure a lot of people will just get another one so they can get back to business- you were very lucky that the retailer handled the claim! It seems to me like I either buy the top of the line unit( which I don't do yet) or multiples of middle range units, that way you have spares and can actually afford to wait for warranty claims, plus it makes me happy to see all those rod & reel combos hanging on the wall while I skin deer.

• 2 weeks later...

When fays turned into eckerd I was there when they closed the sporting goods section down. Wow didthey have some great sales. I must have spent 3,000 there during the last few weeks. Included was a brand new Ithaca Deerslayer 12 guage shotty that I bought for like 230. Miss that place

• 1 month later...