Kingfest 2019 - Who's Ready??

Who's ready for the 2019 season?? What new products is everyone sporting this year? If you'd like to see some of the new gear coming out for the 2019 season, stop out to the NYS Spring Classic Sportsman Show this Saturday at Batavia Downs! As I was looking over videos of past events for some content for upcoming projects and to get psyched up for the upcoming season, I came across some footage from the infamous 2013 Atommik Invitational event showing the 30+ lb king we landed that day along with several other hits and the massive waves! I will never forget coming around the pierheads that morning and taking air during the shotgun start! Let's hope the current stormy pattern weakens for the upcoming tournament season!

Enjoy and good luck this season! We'll see everyone on the water!!

For the invitational the gentleman in the passenger seat was our observer, and while he was looking green, I don't believe he got sick while we were out there. If I remember right, the waves were on the order of 4-8's with an occasional big'un like the one soon after we land the first fish in the video! 

Tip for fishing in rough conditions with dipseys if you didn't catch it the first time watching the video: use a rubber band making a half-hitch on the wire and looping it around the handle on the reel. This helps allow the wire to flex a little with the rod as it sways in the waves and keeps the drags from creeping out. When a fish hits (if it doesn't slice the rubber band off initially) simply grab the rubber band and slide it up the wire to slice it off. 

Agreed on the rubber band getting wound into the reel if it isn't removed, but the practice is very effective and used by many seasoned anglers. We tend to use them almost all the time to help get a better initial hookset while using a lighter drag for once the band breaks and they take off. For charters and inexperienced anglers I probably would not use them, or make sure I got the rod first to remove it...

Or tighten the drag and use a snubber..... or mount a pinch pad-style release on the rod above the handle with a piece of monel copper twisted tight and place wire in pad in lieu of rubber band. 

I am sorry for hijacking this thread a little but those fishermen that pimp their kids to act as observers should be DQ’d. Who would put their kid on a strangers’ 21’ boat in 6-8’ waves?  I once got as an observer a guys’s daughter that had zero experience trolling and turned green within 30 minutes of the tournament.