Which inline planners

Looking for advice on inline planners for Browns. I have never fished with inline planners and was hoping you guys could suggest what is good for brown trout fishing. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I’m relatively inexperienced when it comes to LO trolling, so don’t place too much trust in my answer. I’m just gearing up my boat for trolling this season. After extensive research, I’ve decided to go with the standard size Offshore OR12 for my purposes. They’re small enough for walleye, but large enough for several trout and salmon applications as well. I’ve even heard that you can pull a 1/2 core of lead behind them! They’re kind of pricey, so I like the versatility. Hope this helps.

Conor

Church TX 22. We pull flat lines and 10 colors off them. Get the yellow clips with them. I love mine have 8 of them and they pull true and are great in rough conditions. 

On 3/19/2019 at 7:55 PM, Chinook Rookie said:

Has anyone ever run Church's walleye inline boards for Kings?  Was wondering  if a big king would pull the board under water and create a mess?

I use the offshore inlines for pulling coppers for kings. They will pull the boat under but haven't had it cause a mess yet. I use the Sams Pro release on the front clip which releases and keeps the board from diving.

1 hour ago, FishingFool34 said:

I use the offshore inlines for pulling coppers for kings. They will pull the boat under but haven't had it cause a mess yet. I use the Sams Pro release on the front clip which releases and keeps the board from diving.

Thanks, just ordered 4 of those releases and will give them a try this spring.  I use tru trips behind my boards for depth instead of leadcore or copper.  I like them because you don't have to put out (and then have to reel back in) 400ft of line to get your bait down to where you want it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been running the Church Walleye boards and the Offshore (med size, don't know model number)   Both pretty comparable.   Slight preference to the offshore boards.   Think they tack a bit better and a bit more off to the side.   I did put the pinned OR clip on the back of the church board, prefer that instead of the board sliding down.    

• Like 1

I have 4 Offshore or12 which work great. Saw a deal for Cabela's brand and picked up a pair for under $10! They have a different release which doesn't work great in extreme cold but can easily be switched out. Seem to run comparable to the Offshore and I believe are a great deal! Not sure what the price on them is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2019 at 10:45 AM, RD9 said:

Church TX 22. We pull flat lines and 10 colors off them. Get the yellow clips with them. I love mine have 8 of them and they pull true and are great in rough conditions. 

I had one, lost it. I have tried many different ones. The biggest problem I have with all of them is trying to get the braided line to hold. I even tried Sam's Pro Release, and found the braided line digs into the rubber, and does not release. Really frustrated. I think you have to use Mono line for inline boards, at this point, that is what I am thinking.  

• 3 weeks later...
I had one, lost it. I have tried many different ones. The biggest problem I have with all of them is trying to get the braided line to hold. I even tried Sam's Pro Release, and found the braided line digs into the rubber, and does not release. Really frustrated. I think you have to use Mono line for inline boards, at this point, that is what I am thinking.  
I was using the Sam's releases also with my offshore inlines because I had power pro braid behind all my lead core and copper rigs. I found them to be a pain for me. The braid was more likely to tangle around the plastic bracket on the board when the release opened, or even fail to open at all especially if I was trying to pop it to bring the line in. I never liked attaching the Sam's release to the board with the split ring and letting it just dangle, I felt like that was a lot of my problem.

Anyway, I spliced a 50 ft piece of 25lb mono in between my lead and braid on all my set ups so the inline board can be clipped on to the mono. Now I just use the standard front clip and it works great for me. Easier to deploy and bring back in. Plus the rear clip holds onto the mono better also and won't slide like it could on the braid.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1