Seneca Seneca 3/13/18

Trolled last night for a couple hours 5-7pm, went 4-6 started off trolling for browns, picked up a laker off 5 color leadcore.. kicked the motor down and put suttons on the weighted rods had a lot more action, all fish were 2-5lbs range.. no silvers but will be out this week looking for some.. started in 6ft then made my way out to 40-60ft and found the laker bite out there

• Like 1

The 2018 DEC Angler Diary results came in yesterday's mail. Basically they said that the number of diary cooperators is at an all-time low (34 vs the high of 152 in 1994). Number of trips is down greatly (not surprising) and they indicate that the alewife surplus (from 2016 year class) combined with lamprey [predation seem to be the major culprits in poor catch rate. It would seem that in order to better figure out what is going on some more data could certainly be helpful. They note that people are now fishing the other lakes rather than Seneca which may be understandable but for folks that do fish the lake or get out there occasionally even it would be helpful to collect diary data so that we can hopefully see whether things start to change or improve as we go along. So I would encourage people fishing out there even once in awhile report data to the DEC.It is only a minor PIA to do it. It was indicated that another lamprey treatment is intended for 2021. Similar statement for Canandaigua Lake.on opening statement of the report.

Edited by Sk8man

I was told by the region 7 crew that angler diary data was NOT used for fishery management decisions and that it was for providing other anglers with catch rates and catch info for the purpose of promoting our fisheries. Once I was told that I stopped doing a diary. Didn't seem my efforts were worth it. Perhaps this isn't the case now or perhaps they do things differently on other bodies of water.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Not sure about Region 7 Justin. I have talked with Region 8 personnel over the years and they said that the data is important to the management of the fishery. Here is the opening statement of the Seneca report for example (I do the diaries for Seneca, Keuka and Canandaigua). "Thank you for returning your 2018 angler diary. This is the 46th anniversary of our volunteer angler diary program on Seneca Lake. Data provided by you has been important to our efforts to manage the salmon and trout fisheries in Seneca Lake". I imagine it is only one piece of the data picture though.

Edited by Sk8man