Johnson outboards

chugbug

Does anyone know how many years johnson made outboards in hong kong and what years they were and was evinrude ever made there .Are they a inferior motor and are parts the same with a motor made in the usa

Edited by chugbug

A history of OMC and Johnson is available on U-Tube. A Johnson outboard (150 hp) that needed rebuilt after several hundred hours of running showed the rod journals were .004" undersize. This engine was put back together and traded for an Evinrude of similar size. I never heard of any problems with the Evinrude. Many people of my aquaintance who owned Johnson engines have gotten out of boating completely.

Cheers, DocWet , (Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.)

Edited by DocWet
History lesson.

I spent a hour or so the other day researching Johnson outboards the history of the company is very interesting and surprisingly was very difficult for them at times  especially with the competition of other company's emerging along the way . Also with the company in trouble they had some engines built in hong kong probably trying to save money but I dont think they ever put the evinrude name on a china motor. Thanks for the tip on youtube I will check it out it would be good to know when the hong kong engines were built so you could stay way from them if buying a engine .

When OMC, the parent company of Johnson and Evinrude was in financial difficulty the last time, from the late 1990's til they went bankrupt there was a bunch of bad product produced using inferior parts and parts suppliers.  Tarnished the brands.  When Bombardier took over it has literally taken them years to build or rebuild a brand image as Evinrude only.   In the last years of OMC, Johnson was presented as the budget brand with less bells and whistles than Evinrude, but often those bells and whistles weren't that great.  The picture of a 1999 or 2000 Evinrude V6 in a boating magazine at time comes to mind with scorched paint because it caught on fire.