What pound test do you use for walleye trolling

I don't do much, but every Fall I fish BOQ for a few weekends. A few of my buddies up there love braid. It gets your plugs deeper for sure. I, however, run 10lb McCoy Mean Green/10lb McCoy Fluoro 100. I only pull deep divers with anywhere from .5-5oz of weight behind Offshore OR12 In-line boards. Never had an issue or a break off.

1 hour ago, Yankee Troller said:

I don't do much, but every Fall I fish BOQ for a few weekends. A few of my buddies up there love braid. It gets your plugs deeper for sure. I, however, run 10lb McCoy Mean Green/10lb McCoy Fluoro 100. I only pull deep divers with anywhere from .5-5oz of weight behind Offshore OR12 In-line boards. Never had an issue or a break off.

I am very tempted to use braid, not really so much to get lures deeper, but to drive that hook home. I fish May/Early June/Late July/August primarily and late July/Early August the fleas would really do a number on braid I think. I can trust 10lb, but I think over the course of a season maybe a bit of wear and tear on ten lb from boards would create issues. Im really liking the above suggestions for heavier lb test lines that have the equivalent of lower lb test dia. Thank you for the input. I'll compare McCoy diameters to big game diameters. 

16 minutes ago, Kingfisher06 said:

I am very tempted to use braid, not really so much to get lures deeper, but to drive that hook home. I fish May/Early June/Late July/August primarily and late July/Early August the fleas would really do a number on braid I think. I can trust 10lb, but I think over the course of a season maybe a bit of wear and tear on ten lb from boards would create issues. Im really liking the above suggestions for heavier lb test lines that have the equivalent of lower lb test dia. Thank you for the input. I'll compare McCoy diameters to big game diameters. 

Not a problem. My experience is McCoy runs a little thicker than most companies. Just remember if you're pulling plugs the bigger the diameter the less dive depth you're gonna get. Good luck this season! You guys have some hammers up there. do what you can to protect those big girls.

ive used 8 to 17 lb in the past and have done well. lately ive been running 12lb P-line for my rigger rods and I use them for walleye in Erie and Kings on Ontario. I think I get more hits with the lighter line. especially on Ontario.

Seaguar 20 kanzen braid on my boards...thinnest braid on the market. (Less than 4 lb diameter doesn't gain you a thing in dive curve) Seaguar senshi 15 lb mono on the riggers. Seaguar premier 12 for leader on the riggers, seaguar premier 15 for leader on the boards. Braid is very unforgiving for landing walleye, especially with big boards. Stay away from "slick" braids for trolling it just isn't as durable.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

14 hours ago, justtracytrolling said:

Seaguar 20 kanzen braid on my boards...thinnest braid on the market. (Less than 4 lb diameter doesn't gain you a thing in dive curve) Seaguar senshi 15 lb mono on the riggers. Seaguar premier 12 for leader on the riggers, seaguar premier 15 for leader on the boards. Braid is very unforgiving for landing walleye, especially with big boards. Stay away from "slick" braids for trolling it just isn't as durable.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you were in a lake with fleas would you still use the braid?

2 hours ago, NPike said:

If just walleye only 12 pound, however if pike - musky are around 20 minimum. Suffix 832 is great stuff, at least for me.

They are around and the occasional bi-catch, but I figure if a tooth hits the line 12 or 20 its going to snap. The bi-catch is relatively low, but if I am specifically targeting them I do switch leaders to be sure. 

39 minutes ago, Kingfisher06 said:

They are around and the occasional bi-catch, but I figure if a tooth hits the line 12 or 20 its going to snap. The bi-catch is relatively low, but if I am specifically targeting them I do switch leaders to be sure. 

Your right if I'm trolling w/o the sole intention of catching walleye I'll skip the leaders. I use an ultra short steel wire that ties to both line and bait when trying for both. Can't remember where I got them, they're a pain to tie but avoid bite-off's. Some guys prefer to just take there chances and my buddy got the biggest musky I've ever seen in the lip on 8 lp test,  so you never know?

20 lb Berkley big game (green).

I used to use braid, but would get out fished every time by my brother using mono, so I switched. 

Your right it will suck when the fleas are around. I use Sea Flee then.

Also braid ruined my Roemer releases.  Sawed grooves into jaws. 

15 Lb Seaguar leaders, long as you can make them and still reach the fish with your net.

I use braid because it is versatile and on Otisco we have tigers so no matter what im fishing for I'm using tackle im confident will land a big tiger quickly enough to be able to release it.  If I were just fishing eyes I'd run mono in open water...for sure!  Off downriggers the set backs are short so I don't mind fighting tigers on mono.  I do run braid on dipsies when I fish Cayuga and I don't have a problem, but im used to running my lines non stop and I don't let the fleas build up.  Seaguar blue label or premier flourocarbon leader handles teeth fine.  I can't remember the last time I broke off a tiger...it's been years.  

I use 30lb braid. Fish the big lake and bay of quinte. Start in quinte at opener in May, till end of June then to the lake all summer and follow them back into the bay in November.

Fleas are only a bad problem In July. You get some in August but you can have a line in for 30-45 mins without needing to clean it off in August. To me that’s not a big deal. Usually you’re catching or wanting to check/change baits anyways.

I like the feel of braid better but it’s all personal preference. I also use the same rods for lakers/salmon which is why the 30lb and it’s close to XT for precision trolling app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk