Best boards

If not running copper go with the Otter boats. Can always add an extra keel to the Otters if you want more pull.

I run Otters for Flatlining and short cores. Once we switch over to fishing Kings deeper I go to the boards.

Edited by rookie fisherman

Spend the money on two extra 1/2 keels. Otters function MUCH better with the extra keels. If you PM me your cell I will send you a picture of how I reinforced mine. Their downfall is the string pulling out of the styrofoam over time. With reinforcement they become carefree. 

10 hours ago, Gill-T said:

Spend the money on two extra 1/2 keels. Otters function MUCH better with the extra keels. If you PM me your cell I will send you a picture of how I reinforced mine. Their downfall is the string pulling out of the styrofoam over time. With reinforcement they become carefree. 

Come on, you cant post the picture on here... lol

I disagree about the additional keel. For typical use they are not needed as long as your knot configuration is good. He is wimping out and not ever fishing copper! Stock boards pull well right out of the box. The extra keel does help in rough water.

Another option if you want a little more pull without the extra keel is to move the back of the keel in a ½" puts a little more angle  & resistance on it. 

Ran it that way for a few years before adding the extra keel.

Legacy is correct about the double keel being a bit better in rough water.

Otter boats  I had my worst tangle up ever with a otter boat.  The section of towline that hooks to the front of the otter boat broke. That let the otter boat swing around behind the boat and tangle with the otter boat on the other side. I turned the boat sharp to try and keep the otters away from each other. Ended up with toplines tangled,dipsey wires around down rigger cables and fishing line around the prop. Lucky the lake was flat./

Moral of the story is replace the towline that hooks to the otterboat anually.  Yes I still run otter boats its the speeding up and slowing down when you get them adjusted right that triggers strikes....

Gambler has the pics. He will post on a separate thread. Maybe Rob can pin the thread for a reference. Brian posted on Questions about trout and salmon trolling section 

Edited by Gill-T
  • Like 1

Has anybody used the Collapsible Riviera triple board ?? Capt Mike Schoonveld on Great Lakes Angler Mag mentions them, convenient

to collapse them for easy storage, says they take a rough sea.