Transducer Cable

Landshark

Somehow one of my sonar unit cables got cut about 10 inches above the transducer. Is it possible to splice everything back together. I was thinking of taking the time and rejoining all the wires and then shrink tubing it. Will this work? I figured Id ask before I buy a new transducer. Thanks

The only way I'd try it is if I soldered and shrink-tubed each individual conductor, followed by an overall shrink-tube around the outer jacket. Even then, I'd only do it if I trailered the boat, as I believe it will fail after time, and I'd hate to have to pull the boat mid season to replace a transducer (though maybe you could do this in the water).

Anyway - just my .02. If the transducer is readily available and not overly expensive, I would replace it in the off-season.

Good luck.

Hi!

Not positive but I think the transducer cable is a lot like the antenna wire on you ship to shore. A braided coax cable that probably really can't be spliced. Also ,not sure I would want to take a chance on smoking my sonar if the cable ended up with a short in it . Just another 2 cents (could be wrong) Hope Everyone has a Great Thanks Giving !!

JT

It can be done, but I'm not sure I'd attempt unless It's above the water line.

At any given rate, Here Is the how to directly from Lawrance:

Transducer Cable Splicing Instructions. Lowrance does not recommend cutting and slicing of transducer cables. The connector ends are injection molded onto the cables and the transducer body housings are potted with an epoxy material to make this accessory completely waterproof. Water infiltration in this cable can cause delaminating, internal corrosion, and cable damage, which can result in poor performance at the least - and sounder malfunction or damage at the worst. If a cable is cut or broken we do provide some accessory connectors which are preferable to splicing if the cable remains long enough to reach.

However if the cable is too short or a connector kit does not exist then you should follow these instruction to splice the cable. This procedure is best performed by a reputable and skilled electronics repair facility or technician. Cut the cable in a location that will place the splice in a protected area in the vessel. It should not be exposed to rain or spray, nor be allowed to lay in the Bilge or other area which will allow it to be submerged in water. If using a “heat shrink†insulating material, for either the center conductor connection, shield connection, overall splice, or all of the above, place over the cut ends now.Carefully strip approximately 1†of the outer insulation or jacket from the ends to be spliced. Unwrap the shield and twist it as shown below. Strip approximately 3/8†of the inner insulation (center conductor) from each end to be spliced. Twist the center conductors of the two ends together, then solder the connection. Use special care to allow full flow of solder without damaging or melting the insulator around the center conductors. This can result in a shorted connection and damage to the sounder. Wrap the solder joint in good quality electrical tape or heat shrink as appropriate. Twist the shield wires together and solder this connection. Wrap a small piece of Aluminum Foil over the entire splice. Make certain the foil makes a good contact with the shield wires to prevent, reduce, or eliminate electrical noise or interference. Finally wrap the entire splice with electrical tape or use the Heat shrink material previously installed to completely seal and insulate the splice connection. The transducer is now ready to use.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I figured out how my transducer cable got cut. It had me puzzled. It was cut overnight when I had left my boat in the water. Take your guess.

A) Another jealous fisherman

B) Too much slack in cable and caught kicker prop

C) A muskrat

D) Filet knife laying around

If you shrink it,make sure to use adhesive lined heat shrink tubing.The adhesive melts as its shrinking,and makes a watertight seal.Almost all high quality marine wiring is done with this type of tube.

You could also use heat shrink tubing made for use on wiring submersible well pumps,and is made to be waterproof.Home Depot has it in their pump dept.,or you can get it from a good hardware store,or plumbing supply house.