Casting For Spring Browns

A Krocidile  spoon outfishes a Cleo for me hands down . 

Not sure of the weight , 1/4 or 3/8 I think  in silver prism with some blue , green . 

If Water is cloudy brighter stuff . I like to use jointed rebels or rattletraps if it's dirty . 

Water clarity dictates color / size . 

Cleos and KO wobblers. I use the 2/5 oz. Cleos and the 1/2 oz. Wobblers mostly. Orange and Gold, Gold, Wonderbread, and Red/Gold are productive colors for me. The slowest possible retrieve while still getting a wobble from your spoon works best most days.

I don't know if you have a 9 to 12 ft steelhead light action rod , but the last few years my best way of fishing is a light jig under a float. Just off bottom. 

Land 2 nice Brown's and lost 2 more the last 2 times out  in a few hrs total. 

1/ 32 oz head with a crappie style  body 

Twitched back slowly under a weighted float . Orange head / chart body . 

I am in the stream but in frog type water about 8 ft deep . 

I  do quite well doing this , especially in cold water . Might be worth a try . 

Edited by HB2

in similar water to HB2 deep slow estuary i've had luck i with a small jig but with a 4 inch or bigger gulp bait and dancing it along the bottom.  The browns will hit it like a freight train and make you rethink how aggressive trout can be have had some success off piers and seawalls with this as well but have not tried t from the boat yet.

Last April we started out trolling a mix of hard baits and spoons. After a few fish were in the boat it was clear spoons were the way to go. We were trolling in less than 20 FOW and caught them on a couple of different color combinations but I can't recall which ones. (I really have to start keeping a log) I do recall we felt like flash was more important than color. 

Last April we started out trolling a mix of hard baits and spoons. After a few fish were in the boat it was clear spoons were the way to go. We were trolling in less than 20 FOW and caught them on a couple of different color combinations but I can't recall which ones. (I really have to start keeping a log) I do recall we felt like flash was more important than color. 

Flatline trolling spoons or did you use riggers, divers or lead-core? What kind of spoons

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hi cmc

Most of mine and my partners spoons are Michigan Stingers so they would have been the majority of what we put in the water. Fishing spoons in that shallow of water we typically use clip on weights with the boards. My partner likes dipsey divers and I prefer tad poles so we would have used a mix of those but not on the boards. If it helps t know, we were trolling around 1.4 or 1.5. I know a lot of guys say 1.5 and up for Spring Browns and it looked like everyone was going faster than us but we were catching fish and both believe in the old football adage "run it till they stop it" so we didn't change. 

Good luck!

I would definitely recommend boards, especially in shallow water so you can lines away from the boat. Off Shore Tackle makes the best ones but they are pricey. I have a couple of those and I have some Opti Boards as well. Opti's are a lot less expensive and include the Tattle Flag. With Off Shore you have to buy the Tattle Flag kit separately. I don't see any difference in how they run in the water. The only issue I have with the Opti's is the line clips they use. I'm not crazy about them. The Off Shore Line clips are much better. You get what you pay for.