Copper lengths

So many different ways to answer this...

1. My best rigs year after year are short coppers. 50', 100',150'

2. If the question is what is you best long coppers (250' or more) than last year it would have been a 350' copper.

3. If you are a first time buyer and looking to make a purchase than I would no doubt suggest a 300' and probably a 400'.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

So many different ways to answer this...

1. My best rigs year after year are short coppers. 50', 100',150'

2. If the question is what is you best long coppers (250' or more) than last year it would have been a 350' copper.

3. If you are a first time buyer and looking to make a purchase than I would no doubt suggest a 300' and probably a 400'.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

its also important to think about the type and timing of fishing as well as location.  if you are mostly sport or fun fishing the longer coppers though productive may detract from the fun.  If you are doing more tournament or derby fishing than the productivity is more important.

also do you fish year round or early season or late season and where in the lake.  these questions will set what kind of depth your more likely to target.  

If you dont already have it a good option might be one copper and one leadcore.  lots of versatility there as well.  personally i will typically only run long weighted lines during a derby.  That is purely my preference for what i want from my fishing experience.  i would rather do fewer rods and if i want deep stealth do a short core off a down rigger or some such.  

the other part has to do with boat traffic if you fish a lot in heavy traffic such as the Niagara bar than longer coppers are less conducive to maneuverability. I've not been there but if your on the east end fishing the trench area it sounds like a similar scenario 

5 hours ago, ilv2bfishing2 said:

Going to try 50 and 100 this spring. What leader length and what # test. Use 30ft of 20 lb on my long coppers. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Im using 36' of 20# fluorocarbon on anything 200' or shorter... over 250' or more Im using 36' of 30# fluoro

Ok, so I'm just going off the companies word.. 200 ft of torpedo weighted steel will 19 strand backer. This will give you the same depth same as copper 200ft of copper. But with the wire backer, just let out another 200 of wire and you hit the same depth and a 400 copper. Another 200ft of wire and you reach the same depth as 600ft of copper. 2 rods covers all the depths.
I set a couple of rods up to try this year, so don't know for sure.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app