Bottom paint

bout time

Looking to Bottom Paint my boat for the first time. 25’ Fiberglass never been painted.

I’ve read, re-read, and read some more on the web and this site about paint. Just wondering with the “newer” paints out there what has everyone found to be the best ? Do I need a barrier coat with certain paint etc. Every post seems to contradict the others and it’s all starting to blur together.

‘Bout Time

Mike

Looking to Bottom Paint my boat for the first time. 25’ Fiberglass never been painted.

I’ve read, re-read, and read some more on the web and this site about paint. Just wondering with the “newer” paints out there what has everyone found to be the best ? Do I need a barrier coat with certain paint etc. Every post seems to contradict the others and it’s all starting to blur together.

‘Bout Time
Mike

So i dont know whats the latest with paints but i would suggest looking into a barrier coat. Straight bottom paint doesnt necessarily prevent blistering. My father and i had a 92 sportcraft that ended up with osmotic blistering which we repaired. After that it was barrier coat with separate bottom coat (from what i understand). The experience sucked so if i ever end up with another glass boat that sits in a slip this is something ill do.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Truth is, some hulls/brands must be barrier coated if they are to be slipped, some do not necessarily need it. It depends on the quality and craftsmanship in laying up the hull and the application of the gelcoat. The first boat I slipped was slipped before I owned it.  It was covered in small blisters.  That was the indication I needed to barrier coat before painting.  The next boat I owned was never coated/painted and was slipped all its life.  Not a blister to be found.  I simply was meticulous in the prep of the hull and painted it.  The paint has held and still no blisters.  I touch up each Spring.  If you are unsure, and do not want to take your chances, barrier coating, bottom painting is the way to go.  It is just a tedious and expensive process.  Bottom painting at all is a tedious, expensive and backbreaking job.  They both require a lot of prep, and the better you prep the hull, the better your work will last.  For what its worth, expect to lose a little fuel economy and top end speed with the soft, thick ablatives.  I opted to use a hard, racing ant-fouling paint the second time around.  I really am happy with it.  

Good luck.  Hope this helps.

Matt

• Like 1