On 3/20/2019 at 11:53 AM, hookedupf7 said:

My next venture is I’m going to start trying to run a meat rig in the spread . What size flasher? Same speed as ff? Any other tricks compared to running a ff? Thanks in adavance!

Probably the biggest learning curve and most complicated setups that we run on Lake O! Its not easy to run right, its messy, expensive but meat catches fish! Cutbait sees more experimentation than everything else combined on my boat throughout the year. Lots and lots of different opinions on running cutbait and lots and lots of secrets. Whether its leader lengths or flashers or baitheads, there are a lot of companies making good rigs. Literally anything that you would put a fly behind is good enough to put me behind. Spin Doctors, paddles, whip flashers all catch fish at the right time. Typically meat fishing is slower than normal but the important thing  is to make sure to speed tune everything you put in the water.

• Like 1

How much smell does the cured bait have? And does it smell like fresh fish or old fish??
I king salmon has a better nose that a bloodhound. n Fish Smell?
By A MOMENT OF SCIENCE STAFF
Posted November 19, 2004

Do fish have olfactory senses? How do they smell without a "nose?" Find out on this Moment of Science.

Smell, or olfaction, as scientists call it, is an important sense for many fish. Those little holes that look like nostrils are called nares. Nares don’t lead to the throat the way nostrils do in mammals, but open up into a chamber lined with sensory pads.

Olfactory Systems Of A Fish

Not all fish move water in and out through these nares in quite the same ways, but key to a strong sense of smell for fish is the ability to move water rapidly over these sensory pads.

Some fish can pick up chemical signals when immobile by pumping water through their olfactory system via tiny hairs called cilia.

Other fish can pump water by a muscular movement. Some fish, such as smaller species of mackerel, have an olfactory system that requires them to swim in order to get water moving through their nares.

When the sensory pads pick up chemical signals, they transmit them to the fish’s forebrain, which interprets the signal and incites the fish to respond appropriately.

Chemical Cues

If the chemicals signal food, the fish will pursue the food. Or if the chemicals signal danger, it’ll flee. But fish use chemical cues in all sorts of ways. For instance, a large group of fishes release a chemical when they’re wounded that incites other fish to flee.

And then there are salmon, which are known for a superb sense of smell that enables them to sense the stream where they were born, so that they may return to it to spawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fishnut it would make sense to fish with scent on spoons and other tackle then wouldn’t it ??

Yes it would. And fresh bait is a must. The problem with spoons is you would have to reapply it to spoons pretty regularly. I’ve been doing a lot of reading this winter. And if a fish can smell it’s way back to the spot it was born in, it can surely tell the difference between fresh bait and dead bait. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 3/21/2019 at 11:53 AM, FishingFool34 said:

You think the meat rigs are pricey... wait until you start buying the meat strips to run in them!  I have some MC rockets and have caught fish on them, but Id say real meat easily out catches the rockets.

I experimented with whiting last year it produced fish. It didn't hold up as good but I think it had to do with my brine. I'm going to try again this year and run it with herring to get a side by comparison.

In my honest opinion people over complicate fishing meat. Keep it simple. Use combos similar to flasher/fly rigs you have success with. Don't be afraid to run MC Rockets if you run out of meat. Support the local company who's supplied meat to the great lakes for years. More money has been won on Familiar Bite than any other meat.

• Like 1