Outboard impeller ?

spoonfed-1

I was out on a local pond this morning and my outboard overheated. I froze my azz off but the motor overheated. It's a 1998 20 hp Evinrude 2 stroke. I figure it's the impeller because when I first started it at the launch, yup the icy launch, it took quite a while for the water to start pissing out the outflow. Thought at first it might have been iced up but once it started it stayed week. When I cut her down to trolling speed it took about 15 minutes before the overheat alarm went off.

Anybody got any pointers on replacing this. Never done it before. This is a new to me boat and I don't know when, if ever, its been changed.

Thanks

Glen

Glen,

Yep. The impeller may have been frozen to the pump housing, and when you started the engine it tore some of the impeller sections off. At higher RPMs it would pump enough water to keep it cool especially with the cold outside temperatures. But at idle it could not pump fast enough. The pieces of impeller could also restrict flow. I'd check it for sure! Capt. Randy -- Hit or Miss Charters

Thanks Guys.

Guess I'll start tearing it apart tomorrow night. Got to get it running for the 4 day long cold weekend ahead. Might be the last fishable weekend before all the ramps are iced in.

After that it's probably just a couple Cayuga trips this winter if they get the bubbler system going at Tauganock.

Glen

Spoonfed-1,

Before ripping the impeller out, check the line that comes out of the engine back to the block. I had a spider make a nest in my old outboard and the smae thing happened. Cleaned it out and I was good to go.

Do yourself a favor and put an impeller in it. Check the impeller housing as well. If it's in question replace it. If your running it in freezing weather when you pull it out make sure to lower the engine asap & turn it over a few times (not start) to clear any water out of the pump. If you have any problem's with it pm me.