I’ve been shying away from long lines over the last couple after a couple of lousy summers using weighted steel and copper. Trying again this year, if you had to have two leadcore set ups what would they be?

Justin

I know most of us may run multiple dedicated (e.g. 3,5,7,10 etc. colors) and may run them from boards much of the time so we use them from backing, it can make sense if not running from boards to choose a couple 10 colors and then they can be just run at the various lengths up to ten as needed. I know they may run a little differently than from the backing but it does cut down on the number of rods carried.

• Like 1

If I was limited to two lead core lines, it would be a five and a ten color.  Five color pretty effective early in the year and fishes well off boards.  For the ten I find that a high speed reel like a Saltist 50 and Tuff Line Microlead make fishing a long line easier.  The microlead takes less spool space so allows for more backer.  Having some snap weights and a lot of different depths could be covered with two setups.  Having the right reel makes a lot of difference in “liking” fishing lead core and wire.

• Like 1

Leadcore is measured by color with each color being 30 feet- so when you let out 10 colors you are letting out 300 ft of line.  Spooling up 5 colors is 150 ft of line.  Normally you let out all the leadcore and use backing to attach to a board as the leadcore can be damaged in a release.  Rule of thumb for depth is roughly 5 feet of depth per color- 10 colors 45 to 50 down and a 5 color 20 to 25 depending on lure and speed of troll.  

How do you like the microlead? Any problems with it? quick search found some color bleeding (not really an issue) and some "broken lead" ........ may be that was the early generation stuff.
It does bleed a lot at first but works great. I have not had any break issues and I have it on 8 different reels

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:16 PM, cmc5028 said:

How long of fluro leader do you guys like to run? I was thinking of 25 feet of fluro leader attached with a double uni knot. Or should I cut it leader length down to like 10 feet?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I guess you'll get a variety of opinions on this, but I see the leadcore and copper setups as more of a stealth setup, further out from the boat.  So, to be consistent with that strategy, we would normally use 20' to 30' leaders ... and drop it down to 20# fluoro ... just to give it that extra agility.