Plumbing kicker to main fuel tank

I run a 115 with a 8 kicker with a tee off the main to both, they also have individual bulbs to the motors. Some said you need to have valves on each line, others have said your over thinking it. So I went without the valves. I have had no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

I put one together similar to that what I ran into was when I ran the big motor it would suck air through the kicker hose. and stall the big motor,Definitely put a shut off on the kicker

i hooked mine both to the water separator with a quick disconnect and a check valve on the kicker side. mine is an inboard main motor. no issues.

Fishnut I am having an issue with my main motor losing prime after trolling ,I have a three way installed after the water separator , do you think putting a check valve in line will help with my problem . If so where should it be located , kicker side or main motor side. Also running an i/o for main motor

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 3/24/2019 at 7:21 PM, SylvanTroller said:

For those that have done it. Did you just run a barb fitting off of your fuel water separator and connect up the kicker fuel line? Any issues? Best practices?

I don’t want to run it off a separate tank as I have a 135gal tank one the boat.

I ALWAS PLACE A CHECK VALVE IN EACH LINE BEFORE THE PRIMER BULB . SOLVES THE PROBLEM WITH SUCKING FUEL BACK FROM THE MOTOR THAT'S NOT RUNNING.

Your sucking fuel from your main motor. Put a check valve in your main motor line so the kicker has to pull from the tank. Without a check valve your kicker is going to suck gas from the least resistance line. A check valve will only let fluid through in one direction. This should fix your problem. Good luck and tight lines.

• Thanks 1

When you guys say check valve is that the same as an anti-siphon valve. I'm actually in the process of trying to tie my new kicker Motor Inn to the main fuel line as well. Thinking of putting just manual shut offs. If this main fuel tank already has an anti-siphon valve at the pickup is it okay to put another one in line as well

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When you guys say check valve is that the same as an anti-siphon valve. I'm actually in the process of trying to tie my new kicker Motor Inn to the main fuel line as well. Thinking of putting just manual shut offs. If this main fuel tank already has an anti-siphon valve at the pickup is it okay to put another one in line as well

I considered shut offs till I realized I would prob forget to turn it back on 96% of the time....

16 minutes ago, fishinfreak said:

Check valve / anti-siphon are basically the same, you will be fine using one off the water separator to the kicker along with the one on the main tank .

Fishin freak said:

An anti siphon valve on a tank is often used to protect the tank from draining through your engine.Hence the name. This is important when the tank sits higher than your engine. The direction of the anti siphon valve is to prevent fuel from getting out of the tank. The inline check valve we talk about is set so the fuel cannot flow back in the direction of the tank, which is the opposite of the anti siphon valve.

If it is shut offs you consider, you may want to look into a three way valve to save room

Edited by rolmops

I have to outboard motors so the fuel tank is below the motors. I understand how check valves work as I am in the plumbing trades. But I wasn't sure how the anti-siphon valve worked because that is what the dealer tried to sell me to tie both Motors in to 1 fuel line. I just wanted to get some info from other guys before I went and ordered all the parts. The anti-siphon valve that the dealer tried to sell me with threaded on one end and Barb on the other

15 minutes ago, rolmops said:

An anti siphon valve on a tank is often used to protect the tank from draining through your engine. This is important when the tank sits higher than your engine. The direction of the anti siphon valve is to prevent fuel from getting out of the tank. The inline check valve we talk about is set so the fuel cannot flow back in the direction of the tank, which is the opposite of the anti siphon valve.

Lets not confuse this issue anymore than it has to be Cornelius ;)  Both do the exact same job and that is letting fluid flow in one direction only. They might do it in a different internal manor but they both do the same thing. The anti-siphon valve that screws in the tank and that can also be used off a water separator for the kicker feed utilizes a light spring, ball & seat to seal any back flow at all times unless there is vacuum draw on it. If there is no draw on it it is sealed closed on the seat as not to let fluid/gas siphon out of the tank hence the name. There are other styles of check valves that can be used as well but the anti-siphon tank style valve fits the bill in many cases. 

I ran a barb off the fuel and water separator, no issues but did run separate fuel bulbs on each. Researched it before I did that, many other set theirs up like that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This is what I did too. Works fine. Ran two separate fuel lines, each with a bulb, from the filter to each motor.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app