3 RODS PER PERSON

GAMBLER

I would be all for it...

I do like to run full spreads when i can, and sometimes with less rods out I feel I am not covering the water the way I would like to...Also, I find myself sometimes choosing between this rig, or that rig when I only have 1 more rod to put out and a couple extra rods between 2 people would sure help that...

I'd be in favor of it.It makes no sense not too.They could keep the limits the same,but allow more rods.Many times,I fish with only one other person,so we can't run everything that we'd like to.

It's not that we're fish hogs,in fact,we release most of them,but it would be nice to run all our programs,until we find which is working the best.We just can't do that effectively,with only two rods per angler rule.

I believe Mich also has a hook/lure law to complement that rod law. I think the current two line rule is good for shoreline/tribs/bays. On the boats, I'd rather see a rod per person & lure/bait limit per boat for the open water. I'd propose boats could have 3 rods per person & 12 lure/baits for the boat. (If they want to limit each lure/bait to a certain number of points that's okay by me)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I personally Don't have a problem with more rods per person. I've fished with people from the Great Lake of Michigan & they have a Nack on how to run 16 or more rods out the back of their boats! The only problem is , on the Big "O" when the fish are cocentrated to a small area there will be boats trying to run a mass of rods & boards in a Battle Zone sreaming at other fishermen that they are not capable of navigating their Vessel due to their Disability! We all have run into this situation a time or two. I understand that we like to run the program that works to catch fish & we all like having the upper hand on our prey, but common sense should also fall into the equation!

Capt. Randy -- Hit or Miss Charters

The only problem is , on the Big "O" when the fish are cocentrated to a small area there will be boats trying to run a mass of rods & boards in a Battle Zone
common sense should also fall into the equation!

So how about April 1st through Aug 1st ? NYS has quite a few fishing regulations in effect between certain dates.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Wouldn't make any difference to me. I typically run a 6 rod spread, even on the rare occasion I have 4 in the boat.

I remember this idea being floated a couple years ago and 1: it went over like a lead fart, particularly with the Musky clubs, they were violently opposed, and 2: the DEC flat out said NFW!!!

Tim

Dear Gambler,

Did not know that Michigan went to three rods per person! Checked Michigan DNR site....3 rods only allowed in the pursuit of salmon in Lake Michigan, Lake Huron & Lake Superior waters of Michigan. It took the Ontarion MNR about ten years to change to 2 rods per person on Lake Ontario. ....I was told it's a matter of traditon in NYS. It might have a chance of passing here in NYS if you propose it as Michigan has done. Good Luck fighting tradition.

Sincerely, Jet Boat Bill

Hey guys, back in I think it was the 80s the DEC. brought the subject up at the monthly meeting of Eastern Lake Ontario Salmon and Trout Assn. They wanted to know how we felt about more than two rods per person on the lake. They wanted a vote on it that night, we didn't have time to think it through so we shot it down. Da. After thinking it through I think most of us regretted that vote. Sorry about that.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving anyway.

By the way how many of you really go by the book anyway?

I rarely have more than 1 or 2 others with me, and we'd love to have a few more rods out. Especially in the spring when we have 2 riggers, 2 dipseys, and boards out. Being able to throw a few lines per board or even just to try more combos to zero them in would be great! I always thought a limit per boat made sense...

I really like running my 2 copper, 4 dipsy, 3 rigger spread. Most times I can not get enough guys during the week to go so I can run my program. I don't want to get caught breaking the law so I abide by the laws. I really would love it if the DEC allowed us salmon guys to run 3 rods.

Here's what I just wrote to

Regulatory Coordinator for the Division of Fish, Wildlife & Marine Resources

Rose Diana,

Telephone: (518) 402-8985. E-mail: [email protected]

Ms Diana,

As a weekend recreational fisherman on Lake Ontario, I would like to suggest that the DEC consider a new "special regulation" concerning the number of "lines" allowed per angler on the open waters of NYS Lake Ontario for those persons specifically targeting Salmon & Trout. I understand that Michigan allows 3 rods rather than two for this but also has a "hook" limit.

There has been some discussion concerning this on the LakeOntarioUnited website which is mainly a Lake Ontario Salmon/Trout fishing forum. This past season, I feel the fish were more scattered throughout the lake than I have seen in many years of fishing the Big-O. I know quite a few smaller trollers were totally frustrated with lack of success especially with the high cost of fuel this past summer. Allowing another rod per person would enable the "small guy" to cover more of the water column hence increase his chances for that trophy fish that we all know the Big-O is famous for.

I would propose a sportfishing regulation to include a 3 rod limit per person along with a boat-lure/bait limit, location and time period definition as well as a reminder about foul hooked fish, hook size, etc along the lines of the following:

Proposal for Lake Ontario Special Sportfishing Regulations:

From April 1 through and including August 1, each person actively trolling for Trout/Salmon on the NYS open waters of Lake Ontario may use three lines attached to three separate rods and attach no more than six lures/baits on all his rods up to a maximum of 15 lures per boat. The open water does not include rivers, harbors, embayments, or channels. Hooks must be baited or attached to an artificial lure. All hooks attached to artificial lures must be free swinging and hook gaps are not to exceed ¾â€. A total of no more than 9 hook points are allowed on an individual rod. Fish so taken must be hooked in the mouth. Fish not hooked in the mouth must be returned to the water immediately. This regulation does not allow any angler to keep more than his daily limit of legally caught fish.

Please consider this proposal,

Thank you,

Tom Bishop

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Tom,

I like most parts of your idea. The only part I don't like is the date restriction. I would say April 1st - September 15th so we can finish out the LOC with the max number of rods. It will reduce #'s of rods just in time for combat fishing the Genesee. I believe Lake Michigan does not have a date restriction on the 3 rod per person limit.

Brian, I could go for that. More lines in the water may/might (hopefully) make some guys more cautious/aware of their navigation in tighter quarters. How about Labor day? Day after is generally when guys start making a pass at the mouth then head out.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

If the fish are biteing two rods are enough, If their not biteing two rods are to many.

That being said ,Why not 4 or 6?

Actually after the slowdown we had last year Im for anything to put more fish in the boat.

Four rods would be better ,I would settle for three.

Last year they seemed to be pickey eaters. Had lots of "one day wounder spoons" catch a

fish on a certain spoon and you might as well throw it in the lake because it would not work

again. Some days if you caught a fish you were a hero. I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO RUN

MORE STUFF,ESPECIALLY ON SLOW DAYS.

LL you still Da man.

Like was mentioned above...why stop at 3.... If you have the boat and the crew that can handle more rods and you abide by creel limits why not 4-5 rods. If you only ask for 3 that's all you'll get.... ask for more.....

It would make tournaments interesting to say the least :devil::devil:

It would take care of some of issues brought up my many of the AM teams

It would be great for the times I'm out only with 1 other person, or alone. It sucks having to decide on what to run when you are really limited on how many rods allowed. I think there can be a time when too much in the water can spook the fish and hurt the fishing though. I'm for it.