Weights for spring browns

1 hour ago, hookedupf7 said:

How bout on sticks?

For spoons I add a couple split shot just to get the spoon sink a bit. Sticks on the other hand have their own dive curve.

11 minutes ago, Legacy said:

For spoons I add a couple split shot just to get the spoon sink a bit. Sticks on the other hand have their own dive curve.

How far in front of the spoon

thanks

Leave a tag line off your leader swivel and place split shot on tag. If you snag bottom the weights will pull off. Saves crimping and weaken leader. Remember trolling theroy of longer-higher on outside line + shorter-deeper baits on inside lines. 

Sometimes when the fish are up high I do better with short setbacks from my boards, which is tough to do with snap weights. I prefer keel sinkers that also work to stop my released inline boards from sliding down to the fish. 

Snap weights are difficult when fishing solo too, and there are times when I want my spoons to be right under the surface, no deeper. Tiny split shot, rubber core, and keel sinkers can be run closer to the spoon to accomplish this whereas I typically like to use snap weights further up the line so a hooked fish isn't right behind the boat when unclipping the snap weight. 

If you already own a bunch of snap weights then give them a try, but otherwise there are cheaper ways to skin the rabbit than buying expensive releases and risking losing them to a snag or break-off, IMHO.