Brown trolling question

Often yes because you have a little more control of inlines (quicker response etc.) especially in traffic and near shore areas.

Edited by Sk8man

24 minutes ago, horsehunter said:

When trolling for browns is it preferable to use inline boards as opposed to big double boards?

I am sure others will comment, but it has been my experience that trolling for Spring Browns is best done with the big double boards. This is due to the nature of the hard hits and runs to and from the boat and fishing really skinny water usually.  The big boards are just better for this purpose due to only fighting the fish once on the line.  The possibility of multiple fish is greater and double boards are way easier for that too.  Would inlines work?  Sure.  Spring Browns are just so feisty, they might make a mess of your spread with inlines.  If you were only one or two per side you'd probably be ok, but any more and you are flirting with a mess.

8 hours ago, baitballin86 said:

So when you start hitting browns like maybe 2 or 3 within a few minutes is it the usual tactic to turn around and troll back through?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Depending on traffic. If there is no traffic then it isn't a bad idea. 

30 minutes ago, horsehunter said:

When trolling for browns is it preferable to use inline boards as opposed to big double boards?

Either will work. If running big boards run everything the same distance back before clipping into the release. If running in-lines your furthest board will be the longest line, and the closest board should be the shortest.

• Like 1

I only use inline boards for browns. When salmon fishing I use big boards. The reasons are :
I can adjust where their running easer with inline boards. I’m usually fishing pretty short water when fishing for browns. I’m pulling a lot less weight when fishing for browns.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I run all in lines. No problems yet. Last trip we wanted to focus in tight and had 4 boards off 1 side.

As far as getting a couple fish back to back, I'll continue to troll and if nothing else hits in about 10min it's time to U turn and beat up that area. Has produced many times. Typically it's around a trib.

With a boat load of customers I prefer running the big boards. When fishing for fun especially really shallow water I prefer very small inlines as they are stealthier and easier to adjust the distance from the boat. Very rarely do I ever need to run more than 40 ft of line in back of the inlines.

Edited by spoonfed-1

I personally hate inlines. It’s nice to just fight the fish... but that’s just me. It’s not so vital to turn right around, but pay attention to the spot for hints about why they are there, and make sure you pass back through it relatively soon. I’ve had 20 fish days where almost all of them came in a pocket off of one particular point or trib

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app