POLL - 3 rods

LongLine

Should salmon trollers on the open waters of Big-O be allowed 3 rods each?  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Should salmon trollers on the open waters of Big-O be allowed 3 rods each?

• NO
    • YES

So the question is: Should anglers targeting salmon/Trout via trolling on the NYS open waters of Lake Ontario be allowed to use three rods per angler?

Current regs allow anglers to use two lines with or with rod & reels, across the state.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Here's the petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/3rrolo/petition.html

(sorry...thought it was already here)

Here's a few questions

How many more "people" would 3 rods each add, if the number of Lake Ontario fisherman remains the same?

How many more fish would be taking and what impact would it have on the Lake?

How many more Lake Trout would Fishingman catch?

Mark

Shore anglers will be against this proposition.......they think trollers have an unfair advantage already. I am for three rods per angler, but with a total limit of nine rods. This only to protect the steelhead fishery. If you allow a spread of twelve rods with the charter fleet in the blue zone, it will affect the population IMO.

How many more "people" would 3 rods each add, if the number of Lake Ontario fisherman remains the same?

I don’t think 3 rods would necessarily “add†in the sense you imply. (Maybe I’m reading it wrong). I think it’s biggest effect will be to increase the number of repeat trips that people make to the Big-O and prevent the loss of fishermen. The biggest turn-off for a kid or a guest is to take them fishing and not catch anything. We’ve both heard many times on the radio: “It’s a slow poke today†or “the program’s just not workingâ€, or “no hits-no runs-no errors, but at least the boat’s working fineâ€.

When I take my son fishing, you can tell which rod is his: the one with the fish on it.

A quote from Pete Grannis -Commissioner (1st page of the reg booklet)

“One of my top priorities is to connect people to the outdoors and I can think of no better way to do this than through the sport of fishing. I challenge all of you to introduce someone new to the sport this year and help us rekindle an interest in New York’s great outdoors.â€

IMO, increased odds of catching a trophy will help rekindle interest.

How many more fish would be taking and what impact would it have on the Lake?

The legal limit would stay the same as it is. I don’t know the DEC’s logic behind establishing those limits. But I do know that for every fisherman that gets his legal limit there are a tremendous number of people that don’t even come close. Take a look at any of the lake creel surveys. The average per trip is around one. I know when I come into the launch with pictures of one or two, there’s generally someone who’s been skunked and eagerly asking “how’d you get them.â€

As far as impact goes, running three rods is no guarantee you’ll catch more fish. The attraction is that you’ll be able to rig it differently than the two you already have out that are not catching anything.

A good question to ask the DEC is “what impact would there be on the lake if every fisherman did catch his legal limit every time out?â€

How many more Lake Trout would Fishingman catch?

He’d probably run his 10 ft off a planer board in the middle of July, so I don’t think we have a worry there. :mrgreen:

Tom B.

(LongLine)

If you allow a spread of twelve rods with the charter fleet in the blue zone, it will affect the population IMO.

The current NYS regs don’t limit rods, rather they allow a single angler anywhere in the state to fish with ten lures/baits in the water. It doesn’t refer only to the Big-O, the Fingers, rivers, or on a boat, the shoreline or in a trib. It's statewide.

In my letter to Ms. Diana, I suggest a special regulation for Big-O only that includes a limit on the number of lures/baits that any boat can have in the water. IMO, that is a good move for tightening up what is currently allowable on the open water of Big-O.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Tom the current NYS regs do limit rods...here is the exact wording from dec website "An angler may operate no more than two lines with or without a rod, and each line is limited to not more than five lures or baits or a combination of both, and in addition, each line shall not exceed fifteen hook points in any combination of single, double or treble hooks."

The statewide reg specifically limits the number of lines & hook configurations for each line. The lines may be attached to no rods, to one rod and the convention implied by our trolling experience & upbringing is that you obviously have one line on each pole, hence you can only have two poles. Is it physically possible to fish with one line attached to two poles? (yes it is. I've seen it, and I personally thought it took a lot of ingenuity for that guy to come up with one of the dumbest ideas of all time.)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

My wife and I fish Cayuga Lake most of the time and spend a week at the Bar in May and another week at the OAK in July.We would love to see rods / person increased to 3.This is not to run 3 lines each but rather run 3 riggers and 2 wire dipsys and be legal in NYS.We've always wondered what is the difference if we catch our fish with more that 2 rods/person so long as we don't exceed NYS catch limits.We are catch and release people most of our trips.Just our 2 cents.....

Zeke/Cyn(Strike 3)