POLL - 3 rods

LongLine

Should salmon trollers on the open waters of Big-O be allowed 3 rods each?  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Should salmon trollers on the open waters of Big-O be allowed 3 rods each?

• NO
    • YES

Even though I don't fish Lake Ontario I will support any effort to have the number of lines increased.

I, like many other members of this board fish the finger lakes and would surely appreciate being included in this effort. Rod/lure/hook point limits per boat should also be considered. A charter with captain, mate, 4 to 6 clients = 12 to 16 lines now with the present regulations. The 3 line rule could increase that limit to 18 to 24 lines :o . So a lot of things besides the obvious need to be kicked around on this subject before DEC is dragged into it :thinking:.

Bottom line is the 2009 season will probably be unchanged :( .

Absolutely we should be able to run 3 rods per man!!! Its almost unamerican to think there is such a limit, especially in these economic times,not to mention declining #s of fisherman.If you can afford to run 3 rods you ought be able to so long as your obeying creel limits.Most of us know that running more rods in no way guarantees more fish, some days it might even hurt your catch. Its a no brainer.Remember when you couldn't buy beer on Sundays? Just another outdated bluelaw!

I favor 3 rods per angler. Everybody should have the right to have a big tangle regardless of the state you live in!! Many states allow 3 lines while trolling!

Michigan for instance:

Since 2000, anglers have been allowed to use three lines when fishing for salmon on the Great Lakes, but were restricted to two lines elsewhere and when pursuing other species in the Great Lakes. Just recently, the Michigan Legislature amended State Statute to provide the Director of the DNR the authority to allow for an increase in the number of fishing rods for all anglers on all public waters of Michigan. The intent of this change is to allow anglers to fish with three lines (rods) regardless of species, location or season.

I agree. This is the reply I put on the petition:

I am an avid salmon fisherman and I totally agree but you'll will never be able to enforce it. Besides, three rods per person still means 6 rods for just two people! WOW, 9 rods for 3 people! Why not just use gill nets. How about 2 rods per person. That still gives the boatf four rods with two on board. That is plenty for a sport fisher man..

i'm for it in reality 10 percent of the anglers catch 90percent ofthe fish anyway so this would improve the odds so to say i have said this for over 15 years i couldn't understandwhy not but we still have to contend with our canadian brothers aren't they limited to 1 rod

Bac - Exploitation is controled via Creel Limits & Hook/Lure/Bait/Point rules not by the number of rods the Sportsfisherman uses. The proposal does not require any angler on the open waters to use 3 rods.

Most avid NYS salmon fishermen realize that the current rules allow two lines with or without rods per angler statewide and 99.9+% of them are totally against gillnets.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

i for one would like to see the 3 rod law pass,especially if the trout stamp law passes.why should we pay more to have to fish this species and then get LESS out of it by only getting to run two rods? the 3 rod law has my vote!

mike m

henderson harbor,n.y

i guess i will be the first that said no to comment why.....i am a shore guy i would think out on the big lake 3 rods ok....but i would hate to see some guy at trout streams or bass ponds or pike creeks with 3 guys 3 rods with 9 minnows/worm whatever bait.....they can sure put a hurting on a smaller body of water fast.....a creek i go to with great walleye fishing in spring and fall i run into a "group" of guys 2 guys with their 5 rugrats.....10 poles 10 minnows...and they take the their limit and the 5 kids limits ....the kids aren't fishing and im sure they bring them just to get the extra fish/poles in the water.....have ran into them a lot over the past 5 years and the spot has been gettign worse and worse.....ive seen them walk out with 15-20 eys quite a few times..........i would not care the least bit about you guys on your boats.....

Axion – Thanx for posting. (Seriously, I mean that) Not many guys have commented why they were against it.

There are a great many of us “boat guys†that do not want to see Mother Nature raped by “boat guys†or “shore guys†or by anyone period. (plug-pullers, fly whippers, spinner splunkers, float fluzzies, nor worm dunkers...) There’s more to the 3-ROD RULE than simply allowing 3 rods. There are also constraints.

The current statewide Sportfishing rules allow an angler to use 2 lines and on each line he may have up to 5 lures or baits. Hence under the current NYSDEC definition of angling, those 3 guys you speak off on that bass pond or pike stream could legally have up to 30 minnows in the water at one time. Those two other guys with the 5 “rugrats†could legally have up to 70 baits in the water. Under the current rules, those 5 “rugrats†don’t even have to be using rods.

Some fishermen are C&R, some are not. I’m 100% C&R but I won’t begrudge any legal angler from keeping his legal Creel Limit. That is what Creel Limits are for. i.e. to control exploitation of the fishery. I’m sure that any C.O. would take in interest in observing that group with the “rugrats†keeping their limit.

The petition asks the DEC to try the rule on the open waters of Big-O for those activel trolling for Salmon/Trout. This is meant as a trial. i.e. see how it goes. The results can easily be observed and measured through their well established Boat surveys that they take every year on Big-O. Just as in Michigan, a decision to expand it or not expand it can be made after data has been collected.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

happy you cleared up the regs for me.....and i am all for people taking home dinner .....the 5 bait/lure per pole thing i didn't know about but by having those extra rods they would be able to cover more ground...instead of having the 5 minnows on the same line....dont want to go in circles im all for it on the lake...but on shore or piers would add to the problems i think