POLL - 3 rods

LongLine

Should salmon trollers on the open waters of Big-O be allowed 3 rods each?  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Should salmon trollers on the open waters of Big-O be allowed 3 rods each?

• NO
    • YES

Number 462 for me. I dont keep very many fish but tha ability to go out with a couple friends and run 9 rods would be nice for a change. And on the law enforcement end if a guy wants to keep 100 fish over the limit he is going to do it no mater how many rods he is alowed to run. As long as limits are set and if the majority follows them It should be a great idea. And who knows every once in awile one of the fish pigs gets nailed :P . Besides what do I have all of these rods for. Sean

• 2 weeks later...
I am for the three rod rule, but i dont see why it has to be limited to trout and salmon.. I do alot of walleye trolling in the eastern basin and usually its just 2 of us in my boat..

DON'T SAY NUTHIN about walleye fishing, the gov. will make us buy a stamp for it. :devil:

• 3 weeks later...

Erby,I have exchanged several e mails with Steve LaPan,Unit Fisheries Director for Lake Ontario.Our letters have been read and the 3 rod issue will be addressed.The downside is that we are too late for the 2009 season.Our proposal will be submitted for discussion in 2010.It will then have a 45 day window for discussion among the various stakeholders.If it does merit a regulation change,it will not be enacted till 2012.One thing he did say is that the main opposition is not from the DEC but rather the Conservation Council.we'll just have to keep hammering at this until we get ti done...Thanks for asking.....Zeke / Cyn (Strike 3)

Mike,our proposal will be open for DISCUSSION in 2010.If.in the eyes of the DEC it merrits a regulation change,it will become a law in 2012.As I understand,changes are only enacted every two(2) years.Enjoy your retirement....Zeke & Cyn(Strike 3)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm interested in hearing why some people said no. Lets hear the reasons.

I said no.

Here are my reasons:

1- They call it fishing, not catching. Why not 4, or 5...why not drag a net?

2- Fishing already isn't what it was 20 years ago. Stocking is down, the ecosystem disrupted and the economy will only further cut into environmental measures. I'm not in favor of any measure that possibly puts MORE pressure on this fishery.

3- Too many idiots on the water who can't control their lines already. I don't want to troll through a thicker batch of copper 400+ yards back.

Just MHO, which I believe I'm allowed to have.

Yoda,

You are certainly allowed to have an opinion and I thank you for expressing it. Many of us have given a few years of our lives defending your right to it & the right to express it.

However:

1. The regulations call it “Sportfishing.†“Nets†are the type of fishing that wiped out the Great Lakes years ago. Nothing sporting about them. There’s more to the petition than just the no. of rods per person. It also deals with exploitation of the fishery.

2. Today’s Sportfishing methods are much different than “fishing†years ago, which are still legal according to the regs. There is quite a bit of economic value to this proposal. (Return trips by less frustrated fishermen.) Environmentally - Less trolling hours required to catch a fish is a possibility hence less fuel, fumes, in the environment, etc. The number of fishing licenses and boats fishing is considerably less than it was years ago, hence there is much less pressure on the open water fishery today than years ago. Please note DEC creel surveys for many yers have shown numbers that are much less than creel limits.

3. One idiot on the water, whether in a boat or on the banks, is too many…fishing or not.

Please read the entire thing not just the title.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

To your point in #2, a quick question then. If as you state, "There is quite a bit of economic value to this proposal. (Return trips by less frustrated fishermen.)" then creates an inverse effect on "The number of fishing licenses and boats fishing is considerably less than it was years ago, hence there is much less pressure on the open water fishery today than years ago." will those same fishermen then support a return to 2 rods? I bet they won't.

As to #1, the poll did not ask as I remember about anything other than the number of rods, to which I did and still feel no is my answer to.

I did read the entire thing, and answered the poll that was asked. I then answered the question posed. Perhaps if you don't actually want an answer then you should avoid asking the question.

Poll refers to petition & approx 3 other threads going on at same time. Please read link in poll question. (It's also on Sanders site with a further explanation or do a search on this site for further clarification)

Not sure exactly what your saying in your 2nd & 3rd line. (I think you mis-punctuated or mis-capitalized something.)

It has been suggested that DEC monitor results through established boat/creel surveys then make a final determination.

I did want an answer and again thank you for expressing your opinion.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

So the question is: Should anglers targeting salmon/Trout via trolling on the NYS open waters of Lake Ontario be allowed to use three rods per angler?

Current regs allow anglers to use two lines with or with rod & reels, across the state.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Here's the petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/3rrolo/petition.html

(sorry...thought it was already here)

The poll question then states "Should salmon trollers on the open waters of Big-O be allowed 3 rods each?"

I believe my reading comprehension is just fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have never understood this two rod rule, we are all limited by NYS catch limits. How they came up with this is anyones guess. If you are out on the lake by yourself when you get your limit you have to stop, whether your fishing trout, bass, pike or anything else, whats the difference? I am for no rule at all, you should be able to fish as many rods as you want, it would be a great help to the smaller boats that only have 1 to 2 people in them. The big boats always have 8 to 10 rods in the water, once they catch there limit there done, no problem. Anyone who truely loves fishing as much I do would never take a chance at getting caught with an illegal limit of fish and having their permit revoked. That said there are always those people that don't follow the rules and they will break the laws no matter what they are, 2 rods or no limit on rods. I think the powers to be just over think everything to much, if we have limits to protect our natural resources we do not need to regulate what or how you go after that resource. You are allowed to have more than one bullet in your gun while hunting, but you are only allowed to shoot one deer or the amount you have tags. Same system should work for fishing, your allowed three fish whats the differnce if you go after your limit with 1 rod or six, you get your limit and your done. Just my thoughts on the subject.

micjd,

just for the record, no you don't have to stop once you get your limit for any species, here's the pertinent page from the regs:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31416.html

there is some opposition to this possible new rule change. I think the hard core Muskie guys in particular are not crazy about adding more allowable rods. Those guys are fanatically protective of their favorite fish and are concerned about excessive mortality, even from C&R, if too many fish are caught. I believe they are worried that more rods = more fish caught = more fish dead. Not saying it's right or wrong, but that is my understandiing of their position.

If this reg change ever goes through, it will have to be state wide, all species. I've heard from DEC biologists that I know that a Lake Ontario T & S only provision will NEVER fly.

I'd like to see it, mainly for when there's just 2 of us in the boat. I'd like to be able run my regular 6 rod spread, but I'd never try and put 12 out with 4 people in the boat. I'm usually a big believer in the less is more philosophy.

Tim

i agree with the less can be best philosophy. especially when it's just me and the g.f. :) there's plenty of times i'll just run the 2 dipsies without ever putting one of my 4 electric downriggers in.it's the quality not quantity that is my belief to catching the bigger fish. i don't keep them anyways so don't really care how many i get. then again it is a numbers game so there is the arguement for that. personally i don't care how many rods people use as long as it is in reason with the traffic. pretty soon you'll see them out at the red can with there planer boards spread out 50 yrds on each side and 800 ft. of copper out the middle and waving like fools. :rofl::rofl:

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if this seems ignorant but it is. I cant find it in the regs? Where are the limits on poles and lines? What are they. This is my first year fishing out of a boat for them. And thank you for you answers, I did try to find it but cant seem to.

Sorry if this seems ignorant but it is. I cant find it in the regs? Where are the limits on poles and lines? What are they. This is my first year fishing out of a boat for them. And thank you for you answers, I did try to find it but cant seem to.

Here you go. See definition 1 "Angling"

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/33067.html

Tim

All you will find in the DEC regulations/policies is a paraphrasing of the 2-line law. It is actually in the Environmental Conservation Law of NYS – often abbreviated “ECLâ€. This same law creates the NYSDEC & gives it authority to monitor & set policies/regulations.

Here is the exact law (copied & pasted) as it stands today.

: Section 11-0103 12.b.

12. a. "Fishing" means the taking, killing, netting, capturing or

withdrawal of fish from the waters of the state by any means, including

every attempt to take and every act of assistance to any other person in

taking or attempting to take fish.

b. "Angling" means taking fish by hook and line. It includes bait and

fly fishing, casting, trolling and also includes the use of landing nets

in completing the catch of fish taken by hook and line. To constitute

"angling" the taking must be in accordance with the following

requirements: (1) the operator must be present and in immediate

attendance when lines are in the water; (2) one person may operate not

more than two lines, with or without rod; (3) each line shall have not

more than five lures or baits, or a combination of both, and in addition

each line shall have not exceeding fifteen single hooks, or seven double

hooks, or five triple hooks, or any combination of such hooks, provided

the total number of hook points thereof does not exceed fifteen. Angling

does not include snatching or hooking or the use of tip-ups.

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menug ... QUERY=LAWS

THE NYSDEC in and of itself cannot change this law; however they can recommend/pressure the state legislature to change it. Also sportsmen groups could pressure their legislators to change it. It will however require a legislative vote to change it.

Every couple years the DEC asks for regulation change suggestions from sportsmen. I can assure you that just about everyone in the DEC has heard of the desire for a change. I have been told it will be on the next agenda.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...