POLL - 3 rods

LongLine

Should salmon trollers on the open waters of Big-O be allowed 3 rods each?  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Should salmon trollers on the open waters of Big-O be allowed 3 rods each?

• NO
    • YES

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished signing and hope it goes through. I primarily fish with 2 people and just don't see what harm 2 more rods would do other than maybe improve our catch, which would then make us want to go more often, which in turns spend more on gas and food and other things at local stores, and not to mention I would need more equipment. To me it seems like it would boost local economy. I also can't see how it would affect fish populations when people can't keep any more fish

Just my 2 cents

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

all for it but conditionally. i think boats that contain 2 people or less should be allowed. when bank fishing or fishing from a boat with more than two passengers it should remain 2 rods. i realize this would be difficult maybe if they resricted boats over a certain size from running three a person. in my opinion all this would do is level the playing field a little for the recreational sector

• 3 weeks later...

Why do I always have to take the unpopular side? I just don't know. First of alll its called fishing , not catching here gentelman. There are days that you should go out and get skunked . To me THAT is what keeps me coming back . The challange of it . It seems some out there in fish land won't be happy untill they have a fish on all the time. Is our attention span that short in this got to have it now world ? Kind of like flipping the remote on the TV all night( I do that , drives my wife nuts) . Huge boat some with all comforts , powerfull depth finders in full color that can see the thermocline sometimes, Up speed & temp , down speed & temp, GPS w/ maps to hotspots so you know where to go before you get there acurate to a few feet 'all guess work taken out, underwater cameras so you can actually see what is going on , Downriggers w/ pos ion that go up and down that can be interfaced to helm so you don't need to get off you butt to lower or raise them .Side boards that go out farther & farther. 600 ' plus ofcopper , dipys, lead line . Situation rod & reels w/ best drags.A trooling path 100 yars wide & 200 yards long. & some still can't hook up. And I'm sure I left somthing out. I can remember in the glory days hearing on the radio" we only landed 18 fish today" . Only. To you C&R guys , what do you do with the ones you fight for 30 min from 100 ft down ' without slowing the boat down so you don't loose a chnce at a double & are tangled in the hooks & bleeding ? Are you the same guys who cry about the stream guys? Three rods ? Well i'm off to the stream , W / my 8 wt fly rod( albiet a good one) and my tuft of fuzz tied onto a size 10 hook w/ my leaky boots to try & land one off natures wonders on 4-6 lb test. If I get one great , if not well I will go down to the vise & tie up somthing better and try again another day . After fishing for these fish since the begining I have really gotten a huge respect for them. Three rods? I think not.

HB ,for some of us its a 100mile plus ride to the pond. 10mpg towing=20 gal,plus trolling and running to the hotspot gas. so to come home with a fish or two is the bonus. Fishing is a good time but reeling em in is a great time thats why we do it too.I could go to the local fish market and buy a lot of lobster for the price of one trip...................hey if i do that the there would be one less boater complaining about the beautiful fans on the lake. P.S. sometimes negativity thrives on negativity..............now put a smile on your face ,let go of that tree,enjoy a beautiful sunrise on the lake without turning blades,turn the ac up a bitand the heat down a bit,turn off unused lights,hang your clothes on a line,and shoot out everyother street light in your home town and we all can save the energy the old way........conserve.

I have a smile on my face allmost all the time. It is about the journy not always about the results. Many of the reasons I read about this three rods don't really make sense to me. With all the equipment that gets bigger & better every year, to me it begs the question when is it to much? I have spent a ton of money on my fishing habit like most of the rest of you . I want to catch fish as much as the next guy & I HATE losing,but where is the sport going to. I am afraid it is getting to the point where the anti's may be right.I dry my cloths on a drying rack I pulled out of someones trash. I keep my heat down as low as I can stand. When I built my house I instaled doors at key locations to seal off a lot of my home to save heat so I do belive I do my part. The fight is the reward of doing the hard part right, getting them to hit. Lets leave a little anglers expertise to that factor.And the looks of those fans realy don't bother me all that much. I worked on edgemere drivetoday & you cant even see the lake from the road because the houses are packed in so tight. Thats worse to me. I don't like them for the facts Longline showed us . That they dont work as promised .I went down to the stream yesterday & never had a hit. I don't think I failed. It happens & made me think about what I need to get better at to get them to hit in that situation. Like I said , you need to get skunked somtimes to appreciate the good days more. Every day I get skunked I respect the fish a litle more. ;)

I realize this thread had been running for some time. Its title says it all. I'm suprised it's still running strong. I must admit I am on the site quite often and never saw the need to get involved in a discussion that to me has a real simple answer. I have not read a single entry except for the last three (I liked Ray's alot) :yes: but point being, if there is a limit set on what you can take, than why does it matter how many rods it takes to achieve that limit. Now if you say then people will catch and release alot of fish above the limit while running a boatload of rods, thus putting a strain on the fishery, then maybe there is room for discussion. (I don't feel that that would be a problem)

I hope that didn't sound stupid due to the fact that i didn't read most of the responses.

How bout 4 rods per person :yes: and one for the dog.....

I feel that you guys make my point for me with the fact that you are more worried about the results than the act. Like I said some won't be satisfied till they have a fish on all the time they are out or their trip is considerd a failure. Like I said I like to catch fish as much as the next guy but where does it end. Who will come up with a pair of side boarda that will plane out to 200 yards on both sides. And what is next ? Salmon trolling has become a controlled science equation to me. once the rods are set , watch the instruments and dial it in. You can get a monkey to reel the fish in .Sorry to you guys that take offense to that but it seems to me thats how it is,and some want more rods in the water to get their numbers up.Most guys are not fishing for food so a few more fish on will only be more " fun " . I belive C&R of lake fish has a pretty high mortality rate so more rods mean more dead fish to me. I have been out there since the begining & not much in the last few years , so I do know a little about this. Fishing not catching. Be happy for what you have & don't ruin it.

3 Rods and more fish all the way. Might be a big suprise to some but I go fishing to catch fish. Period. I'm not out for a boat ride with the hundreds of ankle biters, or to freeze my N-ts off in the early spring or to or to go out in all kinds of unpleasant weather and spend thousands of dollars every year to not catch fish. I do it because I love to catch fish. The rod men on my proam team would definatley take offense to your monkey comment and if thats what you really believe I might suggest you should fish ALL the tournaments as you could make a lot of money.

Everybody has a right to their own opinion and thats what makes these message boards great. Nobody is attacking you for having your opinion whether they agree with it or not. Most guys that posted here are weekend fishermen that work all week to be able to go out and fish. They go out with two or three guys and would like to increase their chances of catching fish during the way to short time they have on the water. Three rods would NOT ruin anything.

Glen

I love to catch fish I think about it all the time & prpare for it for many hours. Having 12 rods instead of 8 for your pro am will make a difference for you ? If someone invented an electronic gizmo that made every fish that swam thru you spread hit any lure you had down ,would you buy it? The day you catch a big fish every time you put your line in the water , well you may think yourein heaven but yourereally in hell. Reeling fish in & gettihg them to hit are two different things, they have machines that can do that . I take guys on my boat that dont know a spoon from a stickbait but they love to reel them in . Sorry if your guys take offense but thats how it is in my eyes . More rods of C&R will mean more dead fish floating but only if the fisherman using them can make them hit. Canada use to allow only one rod per so I think we would be happy with two but I guess more is better. Be happy for what you have & enjoy that boat ride a little more. If someones soul porpose iin fishing is to catch as many fish as possible to win a tournament I feel as I said before , maybe the anti's are right.

PS I kind of use to be that way.

I would not have 12 rods instead of 8 in the proams. I would have 9 instead of 6 and you bet your azz it would make a difference. Where are you coming up with gizmos that make all the fish hit? I thought we were talking about an extra rod or two. According to you, all you would need would be a monkey or two or maybe a machine. Thats seems to be the problem with you. You are so good it's to easy.

I don't have all your talent so my team and I got to work our tails off to do well in those tournaments. You ever fish them?

You want to really enjoy a boat ride? Buy a sail boat.

In the mean time I'll continue to hammer those fish whenever possible and hope I never get to that point that I'm so good it's just that easy. Then I would look for another way to spend my time.

PS I'll bet my life you never run a spread less than the legal limit. But you should tell me how many rods I should be running? Because I'll catch to many fish?

Ya great.

This is really facinating to me. If in these pro ams every boat ran one more rod everthing would be the same , correct? I have days I don't get a hit I also had days I hammered them but to me it isn't the point here. And no I don't fish the tounements . Time is a fzctor for me with them, And I probably could not compete with all of the rest of you.I ask again If there was a gizmo that would make any fish that was in you spread hit your lure without fail, would you buy it? I havent taken my 21 ft set up boat out of the barn for 5 years this spring for a few reasons I wont go into , but I have continued fishing . When I did have it I ran 4 rods most of the time somtimes 6 on 4 riggers or board s or dipsys or whatever. My best day out with 3 of us was 54 fish on with 36 landed, with 2 kings apro 20, 4 rods. My second best day or maybe my best was 14 kings 9 over 20 lbs w/ my dad & I w/ 2 rods , dodgers & squids back in early 90's so better get out the sleeping pills dude. You want to change the law & I vote no. I have a 16 ft glorified rowboat I do get out on the lake with w/ 2 man rigger & I run 2 rods & do pretty well with. Check my old posts about a fishing EFA. Maybe you could factor that in your pro ams. Or limit the rods you can use to 1 per man & only can take 8 lures out with you. I think that would be kind of fun. By a bigger boat more rods & lures better & better electrnics & keep hammering them & have fun. And I dont want to find somthing else to do other thsn fish , Its what I do & I dont want it to get to the point where laws have to be put in place to limit what I can do now because of a few. Circle hooks anyone?

I believe the laws are already in place my friend. It takes unity and work to get them changed when people feel strongly enough about something.

I got a novel idea. Why wouldn't you want to enjoy the outdoors and fish any way you like, WITHIN THE LAW, and let everyone else enjoy those same rights.

Now very much like your monkey comment don't take this the wrong way.

I read in one of your posts how you just don't understand why your always on the unpopular side.

Well that otta tell you something.

And yes a one or two rod tournament would be a blast. Unless you don't have any fish around and have to search for them. Then it would suck.

Glen

It's easy to say yea lets do change the law but is it realy the right thing to do? Sometimes the laws are in place because some lack common sence.( not saying you do) I like to think i take the side that is right not the popular side, That to me tells me I have caracter & integrity& am not afraid to stand up for it even if it makes me unpopular . I say leave the law the way it is . Enjoy what you wish. And be carefull what you wish for you might just get it. The search is part of the fun , man! Enjoy the journy, thats my point !And no offense to your friends but mine aregreat but dopes somtimes. You still havent answered the question.

Going against the grain to stand up for what you believe is very commendable. And yes it displays integrety.But ALWAYS going against the grain and insulting others for their beliefs might indicate there are some issues there. Those are your words, not mine.

As far as your gizmo. There are days on the east end that after trolling for 8 hours and not moving a rod and only marking 2 or 3 fish all day I would ZAP those BA_T_RDS in a second. ;);)

Happy fishing

Glen

New Jersey has the 3 rod rule, and I enjoyed that very much Striper fishing last month. We had two of us, and ran 5 rods. Without the auto pilot, even 5 would have been impossible. We just hooked up too often and 5 was the max we could handle with the conditions. Most of the time conditions and circumstance will limit the amount of rods you could run anyway. Mostly, when I'm searching I like to run more, but when I find them I'll run fewer. Tournament time, I'll run as many as they let me 8)

Since this is NY we are talking about, the only way I ever see this going through is if it generates revenue. SO....maybe the answer is a yearly permit to run a 3rd rod?? They do something similar in Jersey to keep a 3rd Striper (legal limit is 2). It's called a bonus permit, and it's good for one extra striped bass. You can purchase the bonus tag on line only.

So why not implement a similar program for a 3rd rod? It could even be regulated to protect certain lakes by only making it valid on certain bodies of water and/or for trolling only. This would generate big money because most would fork out the extra coin. Some may run the extra rod without the permit, but those same people are doing that already. Most of us would buy the permit to be legal and be able to run the extra rod when we choose to.

I don't like the thought of paying out more money to the state any more than the next guy, but it seems to be the only thing they wanna hear. At least it would be "optional". I just don't see a rule change happening to benefit the fishermen if money isn't involved....at least not in NY.