Just for your information UPDATED question # 2

There used to be 2 distinct populations of lakers- an eastern and western group. It looks like this is still the case, with a little overlap. Cool stuff

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RUNNIN REBEL said:

[/url]

So here is the actual movement of this specific lake trout, which by the way is the only one in the study that did this. Every other lake trout in the study stayed in the East End.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The way I understand this, is that this one lake trout ended up in a patch of water that was on the move. Relative to its water environment , it did not move very much at all. It was carried by this patch of water to the west end and it became a marker as to how this patch traveled. This is very much like the swordfish being carried north in patches of warm water , as is described in "The Perfect Storm"

Edited by rolmops

PART #2

Which part of Lake Ontario do the majority of Atlantic Salmon use as their main area in overall distribution ? 

CHOICES:

West End of Lake Ontario

Central Lake Ontario

East End of Lake Ontario

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

The Canadians mainly stock Atlantic salmon in subzone #3 which is between Port Credit and Toronto with the hope that the salmon will imprint on the Credit river. That would put the larger concentration in the western basin.

I could have guessed that starting off with Atlantic Salmon lakewide distribution would be a bad idea, but Coho- Browns -Rainbows and Chinook are much more predicable results.

Jerry
RUNNIN REBEL

Water temperatures cause a migration of fish in lakes. As the generally prevailing SW winds stack warm waters on the Eastern Basin the cold water seeking salmon and their forage move to  the deeper colder waters. From the Burlington Bay Bridge  in August Blue water converged Green waters a couple miles offshore. The blue waters were 48 degrees on he surface and the green waters were 72 degrees. The SW winds blew the warm waters to the east and the colder waters waters up welled to the surface. Any way a half mile into the green waters, 50 foot down, were all the fish moved from the colder water and hiding from the sun. We had the greatest day fishing the horde of fish in that wind driven session.

IMG_2441.JPG

Answer: East End

This could be one explanation of why so few Atlantic Salmon are caught. Atlantic overall lake-wide distribution is where there is very little if any fishing fleet activity, in both USA and Canada.

Jerry
RUNNIN REBEL

IMG_2465.JPG

All These fish studies were tracked with Receivers on the bottom of Lake Ontario ( GLATOS tracking system ) The Lake Ontario Receivers are primarily in North Eastern Part of Lake. They would be a semi east to West line from just south Of Henderson Harbor  to south of all these Islands (Stoney Island To Galloo islands to Main Duck Island) to Prince Edward Point Canada. From that line Northward coverage of ALL bay of Quinte and up the St Lawrence river to almost Clayton. Then heading west on Canadian side there is a long line of Bottom receivers well south of Picton/Prince Edward area that go straight out into the lake.. And the last bottom of lake Receivers are on the west end of Lake Ontario  from Niagara River north to Pickering, Canada area.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Edited by RUNNIN REBEL

those are some pretty significant limitations.  The fact that the distribution almost exactly matches the receiver coverage suggests the study itself was not yet ready to be presented.

Were the same tracking methods used or lake trout?  as a bottom dwelling fish the range of the receivers may be even more limited.  would love to see the network expand and get some long term movement data. could be great management tools

How many fish were tagged? Were they tracked by the receiver network or by the pop off trackers?

I've never heard of one being caught in the bay of quinte and that's where the map shows the highest concentration of fish.

Loads of lakers in adolphus reach all year round. In sept they come in shallow from the lake. Awesome fishing in December when the season opens again. (season closes for spawn at end of sept)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, BigMac said:

Loads of lakers in adolphus reach all year round. In sept they come in shallow from the lake. Awesome fishing in December when the season opens again. (season closes for spawn at end of sept)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was talking about Atlantics being caught in Adolphus / Quinte, that's what the distribution map that was posted was showing the highest concentration.  I know lots of lakers are caught in the east end around the Gap but never heard of an Atlantic caught there.