Replaced floor and foam in 19' deep vee

VooDoo

I started this project in Oct and just did finish it. Was able to work on it some thru the winter as it was stored inside tho it was in an unheated bldg. Note to those pouring foam. Warm weather is definitely better. Foam rises much better and it takes less foam. It was in the low 50s when i poured and it took much more foam than it should have. I will post some pics of the rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Tore out all the old foam. Poured new 2lb. Marine foam from US Composites. Rasped down the areas that rose above the the stringers. I used 3/4" exterior ply for the floor. This was coated with 4 coats of Sherwin Williams 646 2 part marine epoxy, top bottom and sides. Shark skin additive added to final top coat for non slip surface. (Tired of the blood trails in the carpet)20181006_182911.jpeg20181017_182050.jpeg20181023_182427.jpeg

A word of caution. Dont use treated ply as it could react with the aluminum. I used stainless steel screws to attach the new floors. An approximate 1/4" gap was left between the floor and the foam so both could breathe. Incidentally I did seal the foam with clear polyurethane before installing floor. Drains were installed and sealed around with marine silicone20181024_183304.jpeg20181029_202409.jpeg

I made a new rear deck that was also given 4 coats of epoxy. I used stainless piano hinges in the rear so the deck could be raised giving access to the battery and oil injector compartments. The deck was secured using jeep hood latches on each side. I made a new vinyl curtain and installed it with snaps. New battery tie downs secure batteries.20190216_193430.jpeg20190216_193336.jpeg20190114_182845.jpeg

The transom was still solid but did show some deterioration in a few small areas. Those areas were removed and replaced with epoxy coated ply. A 3/16" piece of aluminum was shaped and bolted to the outside of transom for extra support. I used the left over piece of aluminum to support the top of the bow where the motorguide xi 5 trolling motor is mounted. The front deck was still solid so I left it as is, but the sides of both consoles were rotted. So they were rebuilt and painted with epoxy.20190105_164541.jpeg20190209_182435.jpeg20190114_183025.jpeg

I'm not sure if cold weather made for more denser foam or not. All told it took two 2 gal. units. I think the hardest part of the whole job was removing the contact cement from the sides. I found that adhesive remover from home depot worked but it was a lot of elbow grease. Ended up putting epoxy on sides using aluminum angle to transition from floor to sides and aluminum floor transition strips to transition to the carpet above the epoxy on sides.

• Like 1

I absolutely love the xi 5. Have had no issues with it in 2 1/2 yrs and use it alot as an auto pilot to hold heading lock. Cant really say anything bad about Minnkota. Have buddies that have them and like them. I just did get the new lowrance carbon so havent got it tied into the xi5 yet. The elite 7 hdi was not compatible. I moved it to the rear starboard side. May link it to the carbon. A new Itroll speed control tied to the kicker rounds out my electronics. I think Im about done. Lol

1554042650823.jpeg

Wow you did a great job with this rebuild!  I was wondering, did you screw those pieces of cutting board into the transom, or use 2 part epoxy to mount?  I have 1 piece of star board on my port side mounted with screws and marine adhesive, but i need to put another piece on the starboard side for my Fish Hawk transducer.  I would like to try just the adhesive method, where you drill a couple plug holes in the back side of the star board...Please share!

I doubled the cutting board, making it 1" thick. Screwed it together with counter sunk screws from the backside with marine sealant around the edges. Drilled and countersunk four corners and drilled the transom. Sealed the holes with 5200. With that totalscan ducer at over $300, dont know if I would trust adhesive 100%. Sure to break something if it would break loose and be slapping around back there if you were under power. I dont plan on taking the pads back off anyway. Plenty of room to mover ducers around if needed.

1554042650823.thumb.jpeg.bcec74fa64adc12d932366d41e361454.jpeg

Wow you did a great job with this rebuild!  I was wondering, did you screw those pieces of cutting board into the transom, or use 2 part epoxy to mount?  I have 1 piece of star board on my port side mounted with screws and marine adhesive, but i need to put another piece on the starboard side for my Fish Hawk transducer.  I would like to try just the adhesive method, where you drill a couple plug holes in the back side of the star board...Please share!

I did something similar. I counter sunk holes in mine and also put 2 screws into transom. I used 5200 to fill the holes and when I went to take it off this winter (to do transom) it basically fell off after I took the screws out. If your going to not screw it in, I recommend researching a different adhesive to mount - or, just screw it in !

23 hours ago, 1lastweekend said:

1554042650823.jpeg

Check out this thread... 

I posted a link to a great write up on doing this, and did it myself on my Grady last year

That came out really nice. How did you like the shark skin mixed with epoxy? Did you just add it to the top coat of epoxy? I'm doing the floor and foam in my boat in the next couple weeks and am torn between laying vinyl flooring or going the route of a textured paint or epoxy. I planned on epoxying the floor before putting the vinyl down as one more layer of protection, so the texture would save 

The sharkskin was mixed into the last coat of epoxy. Then applied with a roller. You can make it as rough textured as you like. Sherwin Williams 646 macro epoxy is used on offshore oil rig platforms. I figured if it would hold up in that environment it would work for my boat. I too was thinking of going with vinyl but after I saw how the sharkskin came out figured I didnt need vinyl. If for some reason I dont like the epoxy, I can always add the vinyl later. Good luck