Tripping wire dipsys

The release on the dipsy should be set so that a fish will trigger it but also that you can release it manually by just pulling a little harder on the wire when you pull up. It shouldn"t affect the wire in any way. Most kinking is related to allowing slack of any kind in the wire (e.g. breaking down the rods and storing etc. Some curly cues will develop after a variety of conditions and they can be selectively cut off if problematic.

Edited by Sk8man

Point your rod tip at the dip set put you thumb on the spool and yank the rod towards you. Keeping the rod pointed at the dipsey, if that doesn’t trip the release you have them too tight. There’s no stretch in wire so by doing this you’re putting pressure directly on the release and not letting your rod soak it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The question is how not to “kink” the line, not release the dipsy. Correct on what what was said to release it, but what be happening is you are dropping the rod back causing slack, then causing a kink, so never let the rod back down without pressure keeping the line tight after release

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

49 minutes ago, back on eerie 2016 said:

How do I trip a dipsy or slide diver without kinking the wire ? Running 7 strand. Thanks to all!

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thumb the spool, rod tip to the side and back, sweeping motion towards the bow. Don't jerk or snap the rod back. No loose line when you start reeling.

I can tell you what not to do. I had an amateur on the boat and when the fish hit the dipsy the newbie grab the dipsy Rod out of the holder. He didn't think the dipsy released. He dropped the rod tip straight down parallel to the water facing out the back of the boat and wound up like a picture and Pop that Rod straight up over his head. I was at the helm driving and yelling no no no no no too late . SNAP ! Goodbye fish and $50 worth of gear.....

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 4/1/2019 at 2:42 PM, spoonfed-1 said:

Thumb the spool, rod tip to the side and back, sweeping motion towards the bow. Don't jerk or snap the rod back. No loose line when you start reeling.

X2, snapping the rod will likely result in a lost dipsey