Autopilot for kicker

tim

Any recommendations? Can’t seem to get EZ steer to work no matter how hard I try. More of a pain

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have a Lowrance Elite 9ti.  I asked this question on here a while ago and never heard of an autopilot from lowrance.  Is this just for a kicker.  Is it as good as the Garmin?  I ordered a brand new Garmin Reactor 40 but it won't ship for 2 months.  Lets hear more about this lowrance model.

Its close.  I think I'll stick with the Garmin just because it doesn't use hydraulics and mostly because it has throttle control on the remote.  I do like how I could run the Lowrance right through my screen but the Garmin comes with a screen too.  I better just get the engine put back in the boat and make sure its going to move and float first.  LOL.

I have a Itroll on the motor already so I don’t need throttle control just on auto pilot

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have a lowrance "outboard" autopilot. You need an HDS FF to control it. Works wonderful. But it drives the main motor and I use a link arm from the big outboard to the kicker so they both get steered. You need the large lower unit of the big outboard in the water to provide additional rudder action. This is not a problem.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Glad there's a few options out there.  Wish the lowrance had throttle control.  It only works with an HDS?  Their website listed Elite Ti/Ti2, carbon and Live also.  Either way I think the Reactor 40 kicker is the way to go for me.  Might have to fabricate some sort of larger rudder for those rougher days.

Do yourself a favor when they answer from India on the tech line, just politely ask them if you could be transferred to someone in the Tulsa , OK office. Once you can get there, those guys are some of the best tech support people around. If not you will hate lowrance tech support. Good luck and if nothing else it will be worth your time to see and at least explore all the options.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Well that solves that.  First of all it took me an hour and a half to speak to someone I understood.  The first guy didnt know that a mercury 9.9 kicker was an outboard engine.  The second guy didnt know lowrance had autopilot for outboards. The third guy finally told me that only HDS ff will control the auto pilot. At Garmin I had an English speaking American on the phone within 1 minute that has actually installed and ran their autopilot.  Garmin it is. 

I usually ask "Mark" if that's the name his mom calls him. Then I ask if he knows what a walleye is and when the answer is no I say please transfer me to the Tulsa Oklahoma office. Those guys there are really sharp.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Terrible business plan there.  How many people would pay $1000 for autopilot?  Probably a ton.  How many people will pay $2000 for the fish finder to run it?  Not many.  The rep on the phone basically said that's why it's only offered on the HDS "There has to be a reason for people to buy it over the Elite."  After hearing that and waiting on the phone for as long as I did to speak to two people that wouldn't know a walleye from a trout.   I'm going to hope I don't have any tech questions for this Elite Ti and from now on go with a different brand.

Yea I’m with ya. Went through the same thing a couple of years ago. Had the elite when they came out. Sales guy said oh yea if it has nema 2000 you should be fine. When I was ready to buy the AP, someone who knew what they were talking about said nope it won’t. It’s just for data only. Now with that said the new elite ti series said it had smart steer which is what runs the lowrance AP but don’t quote me. Anyway I went with Ray marine.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I had a hydraulic assist put on the 3.0 in my Islander to help my old sport pilot. Not thinking when I shut off the big motor and try to use the kicker the assist is shut off. Now the sport pilot is trying to turn the kicker and the hydraulic ram of the assist. So I need an autopilot for the kicker or keep the big motor on idle so the hydraulic pump runs. Any ideas?

I had the HDS 12 Gen 2 so adding the outboard system was easy call.  I added a hydraulic steering arm to just the kicker to connect to.  I have Friends that use the TR Gold From Garmin, they seem to like it.  However you can't beat plotting the day on the graph then hit "GO"  and just fish for the next several hours.  It's a great system.