Brown/reel question

7 hours ago, jth21usa said:

Is there a reason that people use small reels for Browns? Why don’t I just change out my leaders on my 303’s to 12lb fluorocarbon instead of buying all new set ups?

This will be the first year I have dedicated planer board setups for early season browns and their only purpose will be just that. Its certainly a luxury but not necessary. For years I have switch out rods to light action for the early bite and/ or leadered other setups. 

The more you fish the more you accumulate stuff and add to your arsenal. If you only BT fish a few times a year it doesn't make sense to have dedicated set-ups. Lots of guys just change over their leaders and use the rods they run all season, and they catch fish with them. Over the years I've moved to the dedicated set-up becasue we run a bunch of spring BT trips. These rods also double for Spring Coho when we venture up west. The nice thing about these set-ups is they are lighter action which makes the smaller trout more fun to catch. I guess it all comes down to how much you fish and will use them.

13 hours ago, jth21usa said:

Is there a reason that people use small reels for Browns? Why don’t I just change out my leaders on my 303’s to 12lb fluorocarbon instead of buying all new set ups?

It's all about getting the most enjoyment out of a smaller fish rather than winching them in on Salmon gear.

• 2 weeks later...

Leadering down is perfectly fine. We have just accumulated a rod/reel setup or two a year, and over time have been able to dedicate 8 rods to light line brown/steelie setups. That’s a pure luxury though.

The Fishin’ Physician Assistant