Mercury Kicker - Adding Charging Capability

Alpineski

Hi,

Wondering if anybody has experience adding an alternator/charging capability to a manual pull start Mercury 9.9 or similar and any insight on what all is required?

Specifically, I'm looking at a 9.9 model number 9.9ML part number 1f10211fk.  Some internet searching turns up that it does seem to have a 6amp alternator despite being pull start.  I'm skeptical on that?

Additionally some searching on these boards and others turns up Mercury Part 856558a2 - which appears to be readily availabe for around $50 "Charge Kt- Battery". 

The charge kit appears to just be a set of cables - does anybody know if that is all that is required to add charging capacity to a pull start 9.9?  Is there anything else needed?

Has anybody done this and can share any experience or advice?

Looking in the manuals, it seems that the 6amps is only achieved at full throttle with little to no power generated at idle but I'm thinking it will take a few thousand RPMs to move my 24' walkaround at salmon trolling speeds, hopefully would be enough to replensish a battery running 4 riggers?

Thanks!!

I don’t know what would be involved in adding a 6 amp alternator to a 9.9 Mercury.  I can tell you that a 6 amp alternator will not keep up with multiple riggers, ff, gps, wash down and vhf.  I have a 9.9 Yamaha with 6 amp rated and I figure I might get 2 amps at trolling speed with my 25 footer.  I have to charge batteries between trips.  When I update kickers I’ll look for at least 12 amp rating in hopes I might get 5 or 6 amps trolling.

I believe it would be an expensive conversation. The electronics under the flywheel are missing from a pull start. You have to have an "alternator" under the flywheel to generate the electricity, which then need to be rectified and regulated. The rectifier and regulators are cheap enough but the flywheel stuff is going to be expensive. The pull start motor likely only has the trigger coil for the ignition, no AC generator coil.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've done this on the tohatsu.  I bought a kit from Boats.net and installed it.  I did have to remove the flywheel.

I used the alternator kit and the rectifier kit.  Cost a little under $200.

The relevant parts numbers are listed on this website:  https://www.tohatsuoutboardparts.com/Electrical-Kits.html

I'm unsure if they will work with the Mercury, but my guess is since the motors are the same, they might.

A common misconception is that Tohatsu and Mercury are identical  motors but they are not necessarily exactly the same components and I believe are manufactured to different specs. Their small motors are manufactured by a common manufacturer and share similarities though.

Edited by Sk8man

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, garrymny said:

By the way, I have a pull start 9.8 tohatsu. No charging. But I run all day with no problems: fish finder, autopilot, downriggers, fish hawk. I have two deep cycle batteries in parallel. Just cheap Walmart RV batteries.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

^ This... or a solar charger. In the long run the extra batteries vs trying to set up a inadequate charging system would be the way I would go. If you have a separate battery for the main I wouldn't worry about it,Carry some jumpers and see how long you can go with your house battery before it dies. And or buy a jump pack , which is good to have on the water or in the car during the winter