Mono to leadcore what knot or swivel?

Willis knot doesn't work with micro lead because the sheath of the leadcore is too small to accept the mono. In this case I use the double uni. For standard leadcore the Willis knot is ideal. 

I've used the the insertion (or Willis knot) for years and never had it fail. It can be difficult to tie on the water if its a little rough.Go on You-tube check out Vision Quest Spotfishing videos. He's come up with a knot called the VQ knot for connecting leadcore to mono. Much easier to tie. Since we tried it couple years ago it has not failed us.

i'vleadcore

2 hours ago, Ylw-dog said:

Remove a couple inches of lead make a loose over hand knot . Insert mono until it meets the lead . Sinch it down . Done.

Also known as a willies knot

15 minutes ago, brucehookedup said:

Get yourself Spro 35lb barrel swivels and tie what ever knot works for you.

x2 The 50 lb test #8 works a bit better with the regular leadcore as the #10's eyelet is a little small for the diameter of the leadcore but the # 8 goes through the tip and eyes of most rods.

Edited by Sk8man

Double willis knot with standard leadcore.  With Microlead, the sheath is braid so remove some lead and tie your favorite braid knot against your favorite mono knot.  

• 3 months later...

I was just scrolling through some old posts and happened to see this. My 10 color leadcore is suffix advanced 832, 30lb mono leader and a short mono backing section since I use offshore releases on big planer boards, then braid backing under that. I used an FG knot for the braid to mono, mono to leadcore, and leadcore to leader. I used to use a willis knot, but the FG is the smallest diameter you can possibly get, and goes through the guides effortlessly. I actually used short sections of braid in my new copper set up too, all using FG's to mono, just to put a swivel in the middle of the braid instead of having a huge knot with mono that hangs up on the guides. If you're worried about abrasion on the braid where it's wrapped around the mono, cover it with dental floss. Still smaller diameter than a willis knot, and the wax on the floss helps it go through the guides even better. I can post some pictures of either one if anyone would like to see how I set them up. 

I tried tying a willis knot with my current leadcore just now and there's no way 30lb mono is going inside that. 12lb mono was a struggle. Maybe a hollow needle would work, but with micro diameter leadcores there's better knots out there. With my old leadcore it was simple, this suffix 832 is a completely different style. Ended up going with a FG again. 

0711191451.jpg

Braid sheath leadcore like Tuf-line I just remove some lead and tie an improved cinch on mono side married to a wrapped twice improved cinch on the sheath side.