Suspended lakers

It may be worth mentioning that with regard to the Finger Lakes the particular method employed can make a difference as well as over the years some of the biggest lakers have come from jerking copper and stillfishing with live bait (i.e. bottom oriented methods) although in recent years the methods haven't been used as much as in the past.

Edited by Sk8man

7 hours ago, suttontroller94 said:

This is a very interesting post. Seems to be about a 50/50 split of guys who catch bigger fish off the bottom and guys who catch bigger fish suspended! Guess they are both places

Don't think those suspended lakers you are catching are suspended lakers.  I have watched time and time again lakers shooting up from the bottom to hit the stuff you have suspended.  Last spring, we watched a laker come up from the bottom and smash a flasher and fly down 100' in 180' on the fish finder.  It is amazing how far a "lazy" lake trout will travel! 

I would definitely say on avg over several decades that I have caught larger lakers right on or close to the bottom, either by pulling copper or (esp.) jigging (Seth Green rigs ruled my youth!).  Reminds me of catching larger stream trout by nymphing.  My pb Cayuga laker though, was suspended high in the column over deep water, caught by dropping a jig to it.  Have fun and be safe out there

Edited by Copperliner

2 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Don't think those suspended lakers you are catching are suspended lakers.  I have watched time and time again lakers shooting up from the bottom to hit the stuff you have suspended.  Last spring, we watched a laker come up from the bottom and smash a flasher and fly down 100' in 180' on the fish finder.  It is amazing how far a "lazy" lake trout will travel! 

Often our best days we fish in 300-450fow with gear down 80-120 Brian and its simple fishing. Our biggest boxes this year came from doing this and some of our highest quantity catches

Ok, I may lack many years of trolling experience like most of you, but I have to consider the science behind this. 

Don't you have to believe it all comes down to timing?  If you put your bait in the right place at the right time, then whether suspended or at the bottom, that big ass lazy fish is going to say "that is an easy meal" and hammer it.  OR, you drop it right in front of it's face and hungry or not it says "how dare you swim 2" in front of my mouth" and they hammer your bait again.  Keep in mind most, (but not all), of us fisherman have a significant number of brain cells BUT, the fish we chase are really not too bright so we have to keep it simple and on their level.  

Also consider, if a fish had a human brain would it ever in a million years try to eat some flashy chunk of metal or a plastic bag, (fly) colored and sliced thinking it is a small fish?  I sure as hell would not and if anything would swim the other way as if my life depended on it, which it does!!

When I look at it from that angle I truly believe that fish have minimal brain cells and are really stupid.  

What that says about us as fisherman I'm unsure since if we are infinitely smarter than the fish then we should always be catching our limit!!

Maybe I'm nuts, but that's my 2 cents and even with that in mind I still love fishing even if I am getting the best of a rather dumb creature.

11 hours ago, suttontroller94 said:

Joey you stay outta here! There's no such thing as suspended lake trout!😂

He purchased a secret weapon for this season at the Brewerton show.  Suspended or not, he is going to catch a fingerlakes giant. 

11 hours ago, suttontroller94 said:

There we go Brian! Do they still make the spin n glows that are the size of a cue ball? 

Those are 00 sized spin n glos.  They make them one sized bigger.  I made these for a member her on LOU that fishies Lake LaMartre Canada.  He caught some tank lakers on them up there.  I had some interest from other guys in Canda and other parts of the US for bigger stuff.  I tied a bunch up and now have them in stock.  I have to get them on my website.  I have a couple of these going out today to Flaming Gorge in Utah today!

Those are 00 sized spin n glos.  They make them one sized bigger.  I made these for a member her on LOU that fishies Lake LaMartre Canada.  He caught some tank lakers on them up there.  I had some interest from other guys in Canda and other parts of the US for bigger stuff.  I tied a bunch up and now have them in stock.  I have to get them on my website.  I have a couple of these going out today to Flaming Gorge in Utah today!

Like I said that day it may only catch me one fish but if it’s worth 10grand I’m in

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

5 hours ago, Keep'n it Reel said:

Like I said that day it may only catch me one fish but if it’s worth 10grand I’m in

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

11 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Hmmmm I'm putting 2 and 2 together now! 

our climate is very cold here. 8 months of cold temps. i wont fish suspended fish during this period because water temp is to cold. bait and fish like the warmer water on the bottom. I can catch a lot of fish but most of them will be on the smaller side. 15 to 25 inches. when the thermoline sets up in late June. I can go after fish way up early morning out of temp zone. I can catch some big slobs in the early morning. once the sun comes up they move back down. If you want big fish. fish way up. if you want lots of fish. fish down. they will be smaller. I don't care about big fish, I release them back to the lake. I like numbers my dinks 15 to 25 inches.  the good eating ones 18 to 20 inches. 21 to 25 they go in the smoker. 26 and up back to the lake.