First troll of the year. We like to fish lakers in early spring instead of browns in close. The charters and other fishermen can have them. We slide out and have an open lake.

Several triples, many doubles, and after the first two hours we started experimenting lures/presentations and running gear 40’ over 70’ of water to limit catches. Too much action tired out the pregnant first mate very quickly.

Spoons took the first five fish, then not another hit all day. Switched out different colors, sizes, presentations to no avail.

Flasher/flies took most everything else, but a few stickbaits on the downrigger fooled some too.

Kept a 3-4 color core and x-rap in the water most of the day. Took a hard rip in 100’ but nothing attached, then back to back lakers in 70’. Those two lakers were the largest we landed, around 14-16lbs. Marked some nice fish at 25-30’ in 70’ of water, but just going to chalk them up as suspended spotted perch (lakers).

Sonar waypoints of fish hooked showed 49, not counting the doubles/triples, subtract 5-6 lost, multiply that by 2, divide by 2.3, add 17, end with the square route squared and that might be the number you’re hoping to see.

We had fun as always.

7A8D2261-4044-4C92-A651-8F4C8F78CBCD.jpegIMG_9408.JPG9A00046D-B16B-4437-80ED-4A2D11AF2B89.jpegIMG_9377.JPG726D324B-A66C-4D5F-83B0-F1A036202F75.jpeg5336833B-1365-45C4-826D-D21E5707A74E.jpeg4760ACD8-55E1-4856-B9AC-2549159D7E6C.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 3

1 hour ago, battlehammer said:

Where are your life jackets? it’s the law until May1 - not being a jerk just trying to save you a ticket or your life- that water is ice cold!!

I thought the same thing! Especially on a boat with no sidewall height. Water looks calm but accidents happen.

Also as you said you guys were out there all by yourself. One slip and your in a life threatening situation with the water temps this time if the year.

Job well done with the lakers!

Just a note :

The Coast Guard requires that all crew are required to ware Mustang suits this time of year and with the water at about 35 degrees

you might consider doing likewise!  When I am out this time of year I have a neoprene jacket and suggest you might consider this as an alternative !    https://www.google.com/search?q=neoprene+wading+jacket&client=firefox-b-1-d&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=OeFLZowctDVLrM%3A%2CqpHh_K9gM4vWhM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTlQATllKXtyzd7ujARGSiTwVjVSQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjxm7SgmsPhAhUMc98KHdEmDQ0Q9QEwBHoECAkQDA&biw=1093&bih=460#imgrc=OeFLZowctDVLrM:

Again, I appreciate the people who brought this up. I’ve motored by hundreds and hundreds of people in the Spring over the last 5 years and not a single person spoke up. So thank you!

It’s my fault not knowing the law during cold water periods, and honestly, have been doing it unknowingly for years. I’ve most likely got away with it for so long because my boat is just under the 21’ mark, but there’s no excuse.

Safety anywhere is a priority, and none of us want to be hurt or see others hurt. For a split second I thought about deleting this post, but if my wrongdoing and humility can help educate other small boat fishermen, great.

Rookie - Thank you, and it is a girl, that will be cutting into my summertime trolling.... but maybe our annual shark fishing trip in September will make up for it.

Mike

Huh? I'll remember that when I'm in the water and a boat is trying to save me. "Buddy just go, I'm supposed to be dead"...lol

The life jacket rule is just not for life saving but body recovery. Think of all the search hours saved. Also your survivors benefits are delayed till the body is recovered . This could be months or forever.

Silverfoxcharters.net

Again, I appreciate the people who brought this up. I’ve motored by hundreds and hundreds of people in the Spring over the last 5 years and not a single person spoke up. So thank you!

It’s my fault not knowing the law during cold water periods, and honestly, have been doing it unknowingly for years. I’ve most likely got away with it for so long because my boat is just under the 21’ mark, but there’s no excuse.

Safety anywhere is a priority, and none of us want to be hurt or see others hurt. For a split second I thought about deleting this post, but if my wrongdoing and humility can help educate other small boat fishermen, great.

Rookie - Thank you, and it is a girl, that will be cutting into my summertime trolling.... but maybe our annual shark fishing trip in September will make up for it.

Mike

Way to own it. Congrats on your new addition and good fishing.

I for one was not criticizing anyone for not warring their PFD !

My post was just a Public Service announcement so that we are all 

looking out for one another. 

I have actually taken part in search and Rescue having been a U.S.C.G. Aux member

starting in 1988 !  I have also fallen thru the ice and can tell you the cold water shock

is extreme!  I can only imagine trying to swim in Lake Ontario after falling over board in

April and I do not think I would be able to catch my boat trolling at 2mph!

"AND" who actually wares their safety lanyard to kill the motor should you go over?

Another suggestion is buy a personal distress beacon ! Every Boat crew member on patrol

with the USCG has one on their PFD for a reason. 

Let us all try and have an accident free year in 2019 !

Dr W

USCG.Aux  4-7

Canandaigua

Nice job on the lakers,Did you find any good king waters yet?Last year the kings came early to sodus,hope they return this year also.

Nobody was criticizing on this post, only correcting. Stand up guys in my opinion.

John, all the high marks we saw on the sonar were good fish, but didn’t bite. Though, the two biggest lakers we caught were up high too, so who knows what the marks were. We never had any lines in the top 20’, and never fished in less than 40’. Surface temps varied between 36.5 and 39.5.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Beauty lakers!  Now just get rid of that boca grip and don't hold those big fish vertical and we'll have nothing to complain about [emoji4]   Congrats on the almost newborn! 

More ale’s for the kings :)
Nice post and good fishing! Congrats on the soon to be parents. We had our first a year ago, a boy and yes free time is hard to come by so enjoy it while you can :)

• Like 1

:yes: Great post serves as a reminder for all of us, Great going on the fishing. Congrats on the new to be family:smile:. Mike's attitude  is a good example of the type of response that should serve as an exemplar to all of us - constructive comments should be welcome and appreciated and not viewed as "criticism" per se.

• Like 1