Lake Alice

potsie225

Doug -

I was actually wondering this same question myself. I talked to a couple friends over at Captain's Cove on Oak Orchard and they said they know of a few people that ice fish that lake. I have no idea what is in there though but would be interested if anyone knows.....

Thanks -

Chad

I know it used to be stocked with pond raised walleyes from one of the local sportman's clubs around and prior to 10 years ago. I tried to search the DEC website and didn't find any info of anything being stocked in there recently. I would imagine the walleye population now would be from any natural reproduction. I was there yesterday taking docks out of the water and the water level was way up from from fall-probably the canal release. I know walleye are caught in the canal also so possibly when they drain it ( I believe it drains from Medina ) possibly fish get through. That lake is what feeds the flow for Oak orchard at the Dam. I have heard of a MUSKIE being caught in Lake Alice before, and that fish would definately have come from the Niagara River/ Lake Erie all the way down the canal and Oak orchard river above the dam to Lake Alice. With all the panfish I wish the DEC would stock it with some Tiger Muskie that are sterile and wouldn't reproduce for some real fun fishing.

I wish the DEC would stock it with some Tiger Muskie that are sterile and wouldn't reproduce for some real fun fishing.

Be careful what you ask for, you might get it. :P Granted the Tigers are a hybred, but they do reproduce at approx. 3% rates. This is considered insignificant by DEC standards, thus the misconception of them being sterile, but in a small lake it could be a big impact on other native species. :o

The lake and oak orchard all the way to the swamps near the thruway already have pike so what could some tigers really do to harm it? The DEC website says its around 340 acres and it gets around 60 or more feet deep at the east end. It also gets quite shallow at the west end where Oak orchard enters. I have never heard of Tiger Muskies being able to reproduce before,- I'll have to check it out. There are walleye there anyhow. - Mick

I've never been to this lake but heard the name bantered about here and there over the years. This thread got me to looking a bit. I'm searching on google maps. Can't find a Lake Alice but I'm finding a large lake immediately north of the town of Medina. google maps calls it Glenwood Lake. Same lake??

This lake is fun, if you like panfish. I have tried briefly for walleye, but was not successful, but the crappie fishing can get quite good. In open water times, you need to get to the launch early to get off-road parking. Also, lots of zebra mussels! It is part of the Oak Orchard River system. I plan to try it for ice fishing this winter. Anyone have any suggestions on where and for what?