Mercury levels of fish in Owasco lake

I may very well be wrong, but I thought most of the mercury (such as what is high in the Adirondacks) was from industry to the west of us. If that’s the case why would a Owasco be the only fingerlake to have mercury issues? Is there some type of plant just west of Owasco That would be affecting it?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Owasco Lake has a small surface area/volume compared to watershed size.  Therefore, more water turnover and more chance for aerial pollution compared to the other Finger Lakes.  My guess is any long lived fish such as walleye or lake trout will collect mercury over time.  Smallmouth are eating machines and that may explain elevated levels in them. 

Although fish eating advisories should be of concern, common sense regarding the warning should also be observed.  A few years ago I inquired about the details of testing results on a body of water I had fished for many years in the Adirondack Park.  The biologist told me a total sample of three fish were taken, the entire fish was processed for sample and only one fish, which was the largest, exceeded the guidelines for the warning.  That body of water still has an advisory, and has probably never been sampled again.  Use caution and common sense.  Some NY waterbodies have seen significant industrial pollution and those are the ones I would eat no fish from.

That being said, fillet all fish and remove all red fatty tissue, skin and lateral line.  Grilling and poaching also helps remove any remaining fat.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:10 PM, walnut109 said:

Owasco Lake has a small surface area/volume compared to watershed size.  Therefore, more water turnover and more chance for aerial pollution compared to the other Finger Lakes.  My guess is any long lived fish such as walleye or lake trout will collect mercury over time.  Smallmouth are eating machines and that may explain elevated levels in them. 

Although fish eating advisories should be of concern, common sense regarding the warning should also be observed.  A few years ago I inquired about the details of testing results on a body of water I had fished for many years in the Adirondack Park.  The biologist told me a total sample of three fish were taken, the entire fish was processed for sample and only one fish, which was the largest, exceeded the guidelines for the warning.  That body of water still has an advisory, and has probably never been sampled again.  Use caution and common sense.  Some NY waterbodies have seen significant industrial pollution and those are the ones I would eat no fish from.

That being said, fillet all fish and remove all red fatty tissue, skin and lateral line.  Grilling and poaching also helps remove any remaining fat.

The fatty tissue advise is applicable to lipid soluble compounds that then bioaccumulate in the fat of the fish.  Mercury accumulates in the muscle.  Mercury is also something you don’t want to accumulate, once it is in you it is pretty much there to stay.  Finally, while the limits set are fine for adult males, women and children can be adversely affected by much smaller concentrations of hazardous chemicals. So should eat no fish from any lake with any advisory.

• Like 1