Rookies Shakedown Oswego 4/6 & 4/7

Got off to a slow start Saturday. Once I got on the water I had to re-calibrate the AP as I had updated the software on my displays.

Ran the boat on the hoses earlier in the week with full systems check & service, no issues all good. Get on the water went through all the systems and I discover I have no throttle control on the kicker for the troll control unit. Back to the dock to diagnose, a set screw on the linkage had fallen out. Quick fix with a "zip tie" and I was back out on the water.

Saturday. Headed straight out and set up in deeper water so I could troll back in already set up. Thought it would be easier since I was solo and the fog was thick early.

Started on an east troll 10-12' of water was best although got a few little deeper. Trolled all the way to the buoys at the plant and circled back to one spot that was real productive. 

Smithwick Log Perch was best and Tennessee Bleeding shad second. All Browns, 8lbs or so the biggest. Fished about 6 hours for 15 fish boated.

Sunday. Fishing solo again I headed west as there was nice colored water all along the shoreline. Started the morning with a quick 0-3 then a nice "Salmon Surprise"

Fished 8 hours. 8-12' of water was best for me. 2.4 SOG (didn't have the probe in) 43° pockets of water held the most fish. Again Log perch was getting bit also black & silver Rapala.

Steady pick of mostly smaller fish all morning. Bite died for a bit so I started rotating through baits and the brighter colors started firing for while. 

Had two solo doubles. First time 1 for 2... second time got them both! On the troll back to the harbor I lost a good one right in front of Rudy's, certainly a double digit fish.

Shortly after that picked up a bow/steelhead then called it a day. Great day of fishing and weather!

IMG_6381.thumb.jpg.3c75831732da7769eb623f557314640f.jpgIMG_6419.thumb.JPG.b3d404132be4f5a1f0e66ac895639e3e.JPGIMG_6417.thumb.JPG.7eac08edd667256e263026d7fff2923c.JPGIMG_6449.thumb.JPG.67265afd0fdd2be9333548195ac7d19e.JPGIMG_6407.thumb.jpg.6266669c06b279b9124865ea99de1f9c.jpg

Edited by rookie fisherman
  • Like 1

That smaller sized logperch is great but they don’t make it anymore. The larger size version doesn’t work nearly as well for some reason. Nice Atlantic with cool coloration. 

I thought so, I have a Sea runner. Best Boat I have ever owned. But..... If I have to do it again I would have either went to the ocean pro or the Alaskan  with the wider stance and larger cockpit. Its still hard to find fault in my Sea Runner, its easy to trailer and can handle some rough weather with ease.  

On 4/10/2019 at 8:22 AM, Gill-T said:

That smaller sized logperch is great but they don’t make it anymore. The larger size version doesn’t work nearly as well for some reason. Nice Atlantic with cool coloration. 

On the east end the larger size works better for me for some reason. It is always in the spring rotation.

Oddly enough that lure has also caught a couple seagulls, its just must look that good. 5 trips so far this spring it has taken multiple fish on 4 of those days.