Reel recommondations

I'm looking to replace my old Daiwa Sealine 47SH's. Any opinions on a good reel with similar capacity? I would like to stick with at least a 5:1 ratio. I like the Saltist but probably more $ than I want to spend for a weekend fisherman.

Tekotas and Saltists are certainly better but sounds like out of your price range. The Coldwater high speed is probably your best bang for the buck. I think even the 303 will give you a little more line capacity than you have with the Sealine you mentioned.

Brian
Rochester Reel Repair

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

An Okuma 30 size is pretty close to the Daiwa 47 size (30 size is slightly larger). For a weekend fisherman, you would be fine with Okuma Convector reels or even the Daiwa Accudepth series. Personally I'd recommend the Okuma convector. The Okuma Coldwater is the next step up from a convector and are really great reels. I have 8 of them in the 30 and 45 size for salmon and 6 convectors I use for walleye/trout. Never had issues with any of them, just depends on how much you want to spend.

Edited by FishingFool34

Good advice but I think you will be very happy with spending the extra money on the coldwaters vs. the connectors. I’ve seen a number of issues with the convectors and can attest to the overall build quality of the coldwaters over the convectors.

I can tell you i beat the snot out of both convectors and accudepth reels for years before i had enough money to upgrade to saltist and tekotas. They are more than enough for the average fisherman. That being said, im not sure what you are using them for, but if its for wire divers find some used saltist 30’s, best drags on the market. They will save you fish guaranteed!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The Saltists are great out of the box, super smooth. I have a few on the boat  The High speed Coldwaters are also nice and can be bought for under $100 if you look around. I bought a bunch of them on Black Friday for $87ea. Sent to Tuna Toms for drag upgrades so for just a little over $100 you have a great, smooth high speed reel.

Fish USA has 15% off Daiwa reels today!! Get the saltists, you will
Never look back!!! Like Brian said, get a couple at a time, and save more $$ and buy a couple more!!! I have all 4 sizes on my charter boat and have never had to do any repairs or upgrades to any of them!!!! You won’t be disappointed!!

Capt Rich

19 hours ago, Sam N. Slayer said:

Good advice but I think you will be very happy with spending the extra money on the coldwaters vs. the connectors. I’ve seen a number of issues with the convectors and can attest to the overall build quality of the coldwaters over the convectors.

X2

On 4/10/2019 at 9:54 PM, GAMBLER said:

Buy the saltists.  Save your money and buy them over time.  You will not regret it.  

I lost alot of fish as well as gear last year running sub par drags on my wire divers. Decided I am going to bite the bullet and buy the saltists this season quick question what size saltist are you running for wire divers?

I lost alot of fish as well as gear last year running sub par drags on my wire divers. Decided I am going to bite the bullet and buy the saltists this season quick question what size saltist are you running for wire divers?
Out of curiosity, what reels where you using ?

If the Saltist are out of your price range a Sealine is the next best thing. I run Sealines on my Lund for Browns, Salmon, and Walleye and they haven't skipped a beat. They were work horses for many many years on the Great Lakes. Keep an eye on FishUSA for daily deals where you can save on a nice purchase.

If the Saltist are out of your price range a Sealine is the next best thing. I run Sealines on my Lund for Browns, Salmon, and Walleye and they haven't skipped a beat. They were work horses for many many years on the Great Lakes. Keep an eye on FishUSA for daily deals where you can save on a nice purchase.

I agree but they don’t have the gear ratio he was looking for except in the 17 size which doesn’t have the line capacity he was looking for.

Well Amazon delivered 2  Okuma high speed Coldwater CW-453DS reels yesterday. They were the linecounters too. Nice surprise because they didn't show a linecounter in the picture or say anything in the description. Good deal for $84. If I had known that I would have ordered 2 more for the diver rods!!

• Like 1