Steering Issues with Auto Pilot

I have an Auto Pilot on my boat, Raymarine X5-R (ST6002). I've actually had a bunch of issues and wanted to see if any has some help or insight on how to fix it. With that being said, my first complaint is that the auto pilot is definitely not accurate. It seems to go off course a lot and in rough seas, it's really bad. And last year I actually had the wheel fall off, fixed it and noticed all the screws were very loose. Hence it falling off. I did not do the original install. Well this year upon this year's shakedown I realized the wheel doesn't steer well to the right. I was not the original installer of the auto pilot, but have basically torn it apart and "fixed" it. I want to actually calibrate it and try to make it work the way it should. I've had several guys tell me auto pilot works great In rough water. Any thoughts on where to start or maybe something I'm missing that would spark a thought. Thanks again for the help.IMG_20190410_162819259.jpegIMG_20190410_162811545.jpeg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have the older sportpilot plus and it works great.  The compass that comes with it has to be mounted as far forward and close to the hull as possible.  I don't know if this unit has the same compass set up but if it does, make sure it is mounted in the right spot.  Also if you have a bad steering cable, it will hinder this unit.  

I would start by making sure your linkage is centered. If it steers harder one way than the other that could be an issue. Autopilot works differently on every boat especially in rough water, direction, wind, height of your vessel out of the water, current, etc can all have major effect. You need to see what degree rutter angle you have, it is possible your rudders don’t turn hard enough even if the autopilot is working. It may be telling it to turn but your system may already be maxed out. Kevin from Wilson Boatyard is a wizard when it comes to the older Raymarine stuff. He may be able to help you out. Raymarine also has all of there manuals available online that would guide you through proper calibration, its a pain in the ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I also have that pilot and it works well, but there's a procedure to run when it's 1st installed, and it won't run right if it didn't run all the way thru. I forget what it's called but I do remember having a tech from Raymarine on the phone while I was running it thru. Don't be afraid to call and ask the techs' there to help you, they are really good and helpful.

12 hours ago, lost a lure said:

I noticed Raymarine does not work well below 2.5 mph. Calibrate it and see how it works when cruising. The wheel falling of is not an issue with the autopilot.

This may be AP model/boat specific. My Raymarine Evolution systems runs great at low speeds, no problem trolling for lakers at 1.5-1.8.

Obviously at slow speeds wind/wave push can come into play.

9 hours ago, sszoldra said:

I also have that pilot and it works well, but there's a procedure to run when it's 1st installed, and it won't run right if it didn't run all the way thru. I forget what it's called but I do remember having a tech from Raymarine on the phone while I was running it thru. Don't be afraid to call and ask the techs' there to help you, they are really good and helpful.

Yup it needs to be calibrated.

Ray's tech support is really good. They also have a forum on their website that is very helpful and the tech support staff usually answers questions within 24 hrs.

You very well may be able to find the calibration instructions on their website forum.

When attaching the " stub" to the drive unit be sure to line up the small indent on the stub with the one on the drive unit. this assures alignment of the tapped screw holes. Also torque the screws per the instructions  and use a small amount of temporary ' threadlock'. I also use  anti seize lube on the drive stems so that you don't have to beat up the drive unit if you have to remove it.

Maintaining a heading at slow speed in rough water is difficult if you are trying to use a kicker motor. The unit just works too hard, like you would if you were manually steering. Switch over to your main motor and use a drift bag if necessary.

Other than making  the steering stiffer, the SPX 5-R units  generally work pretty well. I have had one for six years.