Dead Steelhead at Burt Dam

10 minutes ago, Yankee Troller said:

These proposed regs are bull, and we all know it. The stream guys are their own enemies.

Cant agree with you more.

Lots of stream guys are ethical, and practice catch and release. Not everyone can afford a boat.

Banning roe might help, not totally, because it's not just used for bait, but consumption as caviar. Good luck

trying to enforce that, if this is being done at night and people are then taking the roe into their homes for consumption.

When is opener there? It's not for another 2 weeks here in Toronto.

54 minutes ago, TyeeTanic said:

Lots of stream guys are ethical, and practice catch and release. Not everyone can afford a boat.

Banning roe might help, not totally, because it's not just used for bait, but consumption as caviar. Good luck

trying to enforce that, if this is being done at night and people are then taking the roe into their homes for consumption.

When is opener there? It's not for another 2 weeks here in Toronto.

Its open year round on the Lake Ontario tribs. 

1 hour ago, HB2 said:

The proposed regs are

25 "  ,1 fish tribs 

21" , 2 fish lake . 

is this correct ? 

if so , how is this bull ? 

These regulations are to preserve the steelhead numbers so the tribs guys can catch more steelhead plain and simple.  The illegal activity on the tribs like this is why this should not happen.  Charter captains rely on these fish in hard times to survive but we are saving them so they can get raped on the tribs.  For the record, I am not against legit trib guys that respect the fishery.  It is the snaggers, lifters, egg strippers and guys that don't respect the fishery that drive me bonkers.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GAMBLER said:

These regulations are to preserve the steelhead numbers so the tribs guys can catch more steelhead plain and simple.  The illegal activity on the tribs like this is why this should not happen.  Charter captains rely on these fish in hard times to survive but we are saving them so they can get raped on the tribs.  For the record, I am not against legit trib guys that respect the fishery.  It is the snaggers, lifters, egg strippers and guys that don't respect the fishery that drive me bonkers.  

1 hour ago, GAMBLER said:

I see this and wonder how to reply because this conversation has been had to death on here . Enough already with the outlaws . I saw a stream guide a few weeks ago I asked him about this and his,response was it's,not nearly as bad as it use to be . There are clowns in the tribs and with the price of salmon in Wegmans , I would bet there are lake fish that show up in the Chinese buffet . 

So the charter guys need these fish ? What about the trib guides or the lodges and tackle shops ? Any consideration for them ?  The Salmon river and other areas economy depends on the trib guys . 

From what I saw of the state of the lake , the DEC is going thru a,reorganization of sorts . Probably to squeeze,more money out of the fishery and to justify the funding they get   .

The gov has a $ 2.6 billion budget gap . 

I'm sure the DEC guys are aware of this . My guess is the bean counters keep a,close eye on the tax revenue the fishery generates . So we need guys,coming up here to fish , like it or not . 

The reason they said they wanted to implement these,new regs was to increase the size of the steelhead . If it works ,both lake and stream guys will have a shot at them . That's a good thing ,don't you think ? 

We have had some of the world's best fishing,   for me  literally50 ft out my back door and the great guys in charge of it do a,fantastic job of providing it to us . 

And under a lot of trying situations over the years . They are the guys who go to school and study it ,which makes,them the experts .  They are trying to make the fishery better  .  How bout we freaking let them do it . Or at least try . 

• Like 1

Been a while since I trib fished so I may be a little out of touch. I trib fished hardcore for 20 plus years though. My personal opinion is that after mid-Nov the majority of trib fisherman are C&R. I believe the attraction to the trib fishery is to catch quantity with some trophy potential. I think more fisherman will come back if they can catch 10 plus fish in a day and maybe keep one as opposed to only catching 5 or less and keeping 3. The majority of people aren’t traveling from other states and spending money to come and catch fish for dinner, especially in the tribs. I guarantee that if somebody comes up and scores 10 fish in a morning with some trophy’s mixed in they are 10 times more likely to come back then if they came up and only caught 2 or 3. 

Once a fish enters the trib it is very likely to being caught over and over again, therefore any reg that promotes C&R in the tribs makes sense. I remember catching the same brown trout in various holes in the western tribs for two months straight. If I’m catching the same fish multiple times in a season I can only image how many times others have as well. They fought just the same each time and if I wasn’t in the know I would have thought that was the first time the fish was caught.  Even if the fish dies at the end of the season (which the jury is out that they actually do) that fish was enjoyed many times by multiple individuals. Once that fish is caught and kept it is enjoyed once and by one person. Sure there will be those that abuse the fishery. No regulation is going to stop that so arguing about it is in vain anyway. 

Side note. I’m a huge proponent of our brown trout fishery as I think they bring a good benefit to the fishery as a whole. They are a good filler in the trib fishery when steelhead can be sporadic at times. They C&R very well. They are good for the open lake fisherman in that they are accesible year round to the small boat owners and are good for charters to target when younger fisherman are involved or when the salmon bite is off. They also have a balanced diet so they aren’t as susceptible to the boom and bust of any given bait population. They pretty much provide a year round fishery as well. 

My two cents

• Like 1

I, like many here have some special fish on the wall. More than one would have been released (browns and bows) had there not been a derby or tournament going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The reason for our successful fishery programs is the sale of fishing licenses and the money generated from out of state anglers. Keep cutting fish limits and less fishermen will be around and then less fish will be around. These so called “do gooders” will do more harm than we need.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

59 minutes ago, HB2 said:

I see this and wonder how to reply because this conversation has been had to death on here . Enough already with the outlaws 

So we are supposed to ignore the illegal activity that goes on in the tribs? Come on HB2.  It shouldn't be swept under the rug.  These outlaws affect all of us in a negative way. This video is a prime example of my concern.  

Not saying it should be swept , but you can't manage a fishery by the few that abuse  it , as it seems some want to. Anytime anything about the tribs is brought up , the snagging card is played , and I'm sick of it .  

The DEC said at the meeting they are aware of it and are going to address, it the best ways they know how .

I want what's best for the fishery as a whole as I do all of it . To me that should be the goal of all of us to ensure it . It's the smart thing to do . I would think that would be obvious. 

I have been saying more Brown's also  but apparently hatchery space is maxed out . 

Edited by HB2

This kind of behavior sucks!

But asking for more laws against it is as bad as asking for more gun & ammunition laws. No new laws will stop any crime from taking place, because ALL laws ONLY affect law abiding citizens.

Cuomo is already convinced that more new laws will stop crime, so let's not give any more power to the NY Czar than he already has.

• Like 2