Dead Steelhead at Burt Dam

More Brown's are the answer .

Hearty , they eat what is in front of them , they stay close to shore under 150 ft  for small boat guys , fun off the piers this time of year , and they can get big . And guys like to catch them ,lake and stream .  

• Like 2

More Brown's are the answer .

Hearty , they eat what is in front of them , they stay close to shore under 150 ft  for small boat guys , fun off the piers this time of year , and they can get big . And guys like to catch them ,lake and stream .  

That would work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Gambler, TU does have state council reps who work in Albany on many different initiatives concerning the health of cold water fisheries throughout the state. They like many other organizations both from the lake and the tribs have not been successful in gaining any traction on curbing the illegal activities on either the lake or the tribs. Including In-Land tribs where this goes on as well. 

In our focus group discussions one of the main topics was this very subject. We even had ECO officers join those meetings on occasion. There wasn’t any progress…and candidly I didn’t expect we’d find any….and here’s why.

The DEC is not the target. It’s our elected officials and judges. They make the laws and how severe the penalties are. Our fish laws offer at best a slap on the wrist. Single stakeholder groups have brought these issues to the table numerous times, without any success.

WHY…because we are talking to the DEC. We …and my description of “WE” would include TU, ELOTSA, Genny Charter Boat Association, LOTAC, and any other fishing club or professional group to sit down with the elected state senators, and assemblymen and elected Judges in the LO watershed regions. We need leverage, and the most impactful leverage is when these law makers think they are going to lose VOTES if they don’t pay attention to us.

When fish are raped out of the tribs or the lake …it’s stealing from all of us. If we are all at the table with these elected officials….we have leverage. If they don’t pay attention we can start sending the pictures of zipper raped fish to our local newspapers to state this kind of sickening activity is happening in this elected officials district.

Until there is monetary pain and personal suffering for raping our fishery, no amount of ECO’s and tickets are going to stop this. Heavy fines, jail time and loss of property works in Canada, Alaska and all the western states I visit. We need the entire sport fishing community to get behind calling our elected officials out on this. Single….”Special Interest groups” will never be successful. With many different sport fishing groups involved, showing solidarity, it will gain traction with the general public of ending these dastardly deeds. There by creating a tidal wave of attention to this issue, and maybe finally getting them to take us all seriously.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, King Davy said:

Gambler, TU does have state council reps who work in Albany on many different initiatives concerning the health of cold water fisheries throughout the state. They like many other organizations both from the lake and the tribs have not been successful in gaining any traction on curbing the illegal activities on either the lake or the tribs. Including In-Land tribs where this goes on as well. 

In our focus group discussions one of the main topics was this very subject. We even had ECO officers join those meetings on occasion. There wasn’t any progress…and candidly I didn’t expect we’d find any….and here’s why.

The DEC is not the target. It’s our elected officials and judges. They make the laws and how severe the penalties are. Our fish laws offer at best a slap on the wrist. Single stakeholder groups have brought these issues to the table numerous times, without any success.

WHY…because we are talking to the DEC. We …and my description of “WE” would include TU, ELOTSA, Genny Charter Boat Association, LOTAC, and any other fishing club or professional group to sit down with the elected state senators, and assemblymen and elected Judges in the LO watershed regions. We need leverage, and the most impactful leverage is when these law makers think they are going to lose VOTES if they don’t pay attention to us.

When fish are raped out of the tribs or the lake …it’s stealing from all of us. If we are all at the table with these elected officials….we have leverage. If they don’t pay attention we can start sending the pictures of zipper raped fish to our local newspapers to state this kind of sickening activity is happening in this elected officials district.

Until there is monetary pain and personal suffering for raping our fishery, no amount of ECO’s and tickets are going to stop this. Heavy fines, jail time and loss of property works in Canada, Alaska and all the western states I visit. We need the entire sport fishing community to get behind calling our elected officials out on this. Single….”Special Interest groups” will never be successful. With many different sport fishing groups involved, showing solidarity, it will gain traction with the general public of ending these dastardly deeds. There by creating a tidal wave of attention to this issue, and maybe finally getting them to take us all seriously.

This needs to happen.  This has been an issue since they closed snagging.  From snagging to poaching deer, fish and game fines are a joke in NY state.   I just read a story about a guy in Ohio that poached a deer and received a $43,000 fine and loss of his license for 10 years.  I would think that is a great way to keep guys (some not all) from breaking the laws!  In NY state he would have received a hand slap. 

On 4/18/2019 at 6:24 AM, King Davy said:

While putting the Pens together at the Oak, an ECO stopped by to Chat. As usually happens we talked about the difficulty in catching and then having a Judge convict the ticketed offender. The ECO also shared a story about a Charter Boat Captain he ticketed for fishing violations....stating the problem is not only on the tribs. BUT I didn't come away from that conversation that ALL Charter Boat Captains are law breakers. If we REALLY want to fix this.....stop generalizing or profiling people just because of the method they fish, or where they choose to fish when a law is broken in either environment. 

Dave I know of this event there were 4 legal fishermen on the boat that day and the eco witnessed and talked to 2 legal fishermen getting off the boat though he did not ask either of them for fishing licenses, he also witnessed the other 1 get in his vehicle and drive away. The group had caught 10 fish then were driven of the lake by bad weather, do to the windy conditions and safety the captain chose to drop them off where he had picked them up and take the fish to his dock to clean and delver the fillets to them when he was done. That is when the eco came to his dock and ticketed the captain for over limit, the captain offered to call the fishermen the eco had witnessed get off his boat back to the boat but the eco refused to let him. The thing about this is your timing of the event is a little concerning since I do believe the steelhead pens were put together the same day as the salmon pens were which was March 30th, they were in the water April 8th, fish were delivered the same day and moved to their permanent docking spot. This event happen on April 12th so how could he discuss this event with you before it happen?

Edited by reelxite

If a local resident takes an illegal deer, the fine is ten dollars plus ninety three dollars court costs. Too many deer are not taken by sport hunters that the local residents have an inordinate car deer accident rate that they feel the state and its alleged rules and regulations are harmful to the county population.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Bob, never said the ECO's statement was about ticketing a Capt. this year. He simply stated he has written tickets for fishing violations on the lake as well as the tribs. And he mentioned he had written tickets on some Charter Capt's as well.  I didn't ask him for specifics, as it was none of my business. There are laws being broken in our entire fishery every year. It's a problem, that only WE all together can address, to where we could make some headway if we were in solidarity with each other and showed our elected representatives that is was a big deal, from a business/economic and a moral sportsman standpoint, and a black eye on our society around this world class fishery and for the law makers in office in the LO regions.

But hey thanks for sharing your story...

1 hour ago, King Davy said:

Bob, never said the ECO's statement was about ticketing a Capt. this year. He simply stated he has written tickets for fishing violations on the lake as well as the tribs. And he mentioned he had written tickets on some Charter Capt's as well.  I didn't ask him for specifics, as it was none of my business. There are laws being broken in our entire fishery every year. It's a problem, that only WE all together can address, to where we could make some headway if we were in solidarity with each other and showed our elected representatives that is was a big deal, from a business/economic and a moral sportsman standpoint, and a black eye on our society around this world class fishery and for the law makers in office in the LO regions.

But hey thanks for sharing your story...

The issue is that no captains have received a ticket in recent years or the community would have known about it, the captains are a close group and it would have come up. Almost all of them know about the issue that happen this year. 

Kuhmbaya my , Lord Kuhmbaya 

Someone's striping eggs Lord , Kuhmbaya 

Someone's keeping to many fish Lord , Kuhmbaya 

Someone's using to light a line Lord  , Kuhmbaya 

Someone's a snagging bastard Lord, Kuhmbaya  ........

Could not resist 

I hate the law breakers as much as you guys but love the fishery . Let's concentrate on that . 

Moving here from Alaska there is not much comparison in Great lakes fishing to fishing Alaska but one thing remains the same; illegal fishing and poaching. The big difference is the penalties for it. The one thing everyone understands is money and jail time. In Alaska you can loose your boat, your car or truck or RV and all of your hunting and fishing gear. The saying in Alaska is you can get more time for poaching a moose than killing a person is pretty close to true. What happens here? Get a $100 fine for snagging fish? Make it $5000 a fish and it will pretty much stop a lot of the crap that goes on. 

The difference is this is New York State and I don't think the emperor and his cronies care one way or another about fish and game it is all about $$$$ but liberal downstate mentality about sanctions for offenders.

11 hours ago, Sk8man said:

The difference is this is New York State and I don't think the emperor and his cronies care one way or another about fish and game it is all about $$$$ but liberal downstate mentality about sanctions for offenders.

And this is the end of a rather politics free thread