dipsy and wire ?

Hi !

Want to try running wire this spring and have been reading all the post I can find out there . I think I have most of it figured out except I'm not real clear on drag setting . Sounds like most use a light drag to let the dipsy out to keep tension on the line then once it's out far enough you increase the drag just enough to so it's not taking anymore line out . Then use a release ??? Once the fish is on do add more drag ???

Thanks

Once you got the wire out as far as you want it adjust the drag that is clicks every now and then. As far as the release goes I was on a freinds boat last spring and what he did is used a pinch pad tied around the base of his rod holder with enough wire or line from the release to the rod holder so he could clip the pads on the wire just after the reel so when a fish hit the pad would come off and you fight the fish. Great little set up I 'm going to use that set up this year also. As far as the drag goes set it so it's not real tight wire has no strech if the drag is to tight and the fish makes a last run it could break the wire.Good luck

I have always went against the grain on this one. I have my wires cranked down so I don't hear any creep. I'm not saying I have them super tight either. Just a little bit tighter than a slow creep. When the rod starts pumping I run to it and start turning the drag back until I hear drag coming out. Then I grab the rod out of the holder. With a flasher and fly behind a dipsey there is a lot of drag, and I hate to hear that creeping noise.

Could this cause me to loose a fish or two? We will never know! BUT, the guys with the loose drags loose fish too.

What weight releases do they use? Medium or Heavy Offshores? The release drops off instead of pulling line through the release? Somebody posted a pic of this setup a while ago but I couldn't seem to find it now. Thanks, Andy

Proably me , I posted this a while back. This pic has an offshore release clipped to the hook keeper on the rod, I've also seen it clipped to the underside of the reel and to the dipsey rod holder itself. All work well.

2883dipsey_line_holder.JPG

Tim

I use the tan rubber bands (same ones guys use on big boards) set the dispey where you want it half hitch a rubber band to the wire then to the reel's handle, the rubber band will stretch but not break when surging, works great for me but playing with the rubber bands gets old when your changing up set ups as often as I like to. I just might try the release, I have a ton of the black ones that come on offshore boards because I swap them out.

• 2 weeks later...