X4 probe warning

I had a question on mounting the transducer last week so I call the factory. After getting my questions answered. The gentleman told me to make sure to unscrew the probe battery cap when done for the day . He said if you dont it will eventually crack from the pressure inside and that is not covered under warranty. Just putting it out there take it for what its worth.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 3

I'm sure it applies to ALL brands of probes since they are all subjected to the same pressures.

I'll have to check for that warning in my Sub-Troll manual. I don't recall seeing that mentioned when I read the manual.

The electronics are all sealed in epoxy so even if the cap cracks and leaks the most it does is ruin a pair of AA batteries....Lube the o-ring and threads with Vaseline and you are set.  Never had a cap crack and I remove it a couple times per year to replace batteries.... 

The best lube for O rings is Jacks Lube. You can get it from Amazon. You shouldn't use petroleum based lubes on O rings. It breaks them down prematurely. I was informed about opening the probe also. I open my probe almost every trip. I noticed you do get some condensation in there so I just open it and let it sit in the cabin open till the next trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

I would be more concerned about condensation getting into the probe if you left it open for long periods of time. Open it up to equalize then close back up to store would be my anecdotal answer. 

I’m not a engineer but wouldn’t the pressure equalize when the probe comes out of water? The most pressure it will see is when’s down deep correct? So if it was going to crack it’s going to do it when’s it’s being used hence the cracking issue is happening during use which is a hole other issue. Just an opinion. The grease topic I’m sure is for preventing water from getting in to the electric side which some have already mentioned that the new units are separate. I thought the issue that was mentioned was the unit cracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I’m not a engineer but wouldn’t the pressure equalize when the probe comes out of water? The most pressure it will see is when’s down deep correct? So if it was going to crack it’s going to do it when’s it’s being used hence the cracking issue is happening during use which is a hole other issue. Just an opinion. The grease topic I’m sure is for preventing water from getting in to the electric side which some have already mentioned that the new units are separate. I thought the issue that was mentioned was the unit cracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
I believe the theory behind it is. When the probe is down in the water the water is much colder therefore the air that is trapped in the chamber is cooled. When you bring a probe to the surface and it's a hot summer day the air molecules heat up and can rapidly expand increasing the pressure inside the probe.

• Like 1

the chamber gets a seal before the cap is screwed all the way in espcially if you have lube on the threads so the last turn or so of the cap actually compresses the air in the chamber creating a slight positive pressure inside.  the smaller the chamber the greater the effect.  it is similar to a syringe in principle.  this may not have much effect over the course of a day buf if left as is over an entire season it could it could have an effect.  changes in temperature will also cause changes in pressure in both directions.  hotter than the day it was sealed will increase pressure.  colder than the day it was sealed creates a vaccum.  the constant push pull can wear on materials

I believe the theory behind it is. When the probe is down in the water the water is much colder therefore the air that is trapped in the chamber is cooled. When you bring a probe to the surface and it's a hot summer day the air molecules heat up and can rapidly expand increasing the pressure inside the probe.

I was thinking that at first but thought with the force of psi down 130-150 ft and only really having at the extreme maybe a 50 degree difference between atmosphere and down deep, the psi down deep would be greater, but I get it. I’m sure going to keep an eye on it, I hate to keep unscrewing the cap though if you don’t have to is all. Weird they don’t list it in the manual.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

The pressure that builds inside the probe is from the gas that can be produced by the batteries inside. I don't think it can happen though unless you used 2 different batteries or 2 batteries that are unequal in charge, and I don't think it's possible if there's only 1 battery like my Cannon or Depth Raider probes.

I always open my probe and disconnect the battery after fishing anyway because I think it's a good practice. Batteries can explode...