Dipsy Divers- I've must be totaly STUPID

I've been using Dispy Divers sometime without any sucess, and when you speak about snubbers and so on... My english knowledge isn't good enough to understand what you mean.

My way to use DD is attach the DD to the line from my reel and attach an rodlength of leader line from the DD to the bait.

Do you use the DD as a planerboard with a own reel and attatch an releaser to the leader from the DD to the bait so you can fight the fish directly on the rod without the resistance from the DD?

If someone youd publish a picture and description for a Norwegian dummy I would been very thankful

Im using my ordinary trolling line 0.38 (18lb). Then you tie the DD in the same way as I do. From the rod to the dipsy, but you use an snubber as a part of the leader for preventing the hooks to be dragged out of the fish mouth then?

I have to read some more fishing teqnical english so I understand everything you wrote.

Back here we seldom use the DD, downriggers and planerboard are common in Scandinavia. But in Denmark after the Baltic Sea Salmon we cant use planerboard so therefor we use small rod paravans and DD (at shallowest level).

Smaller rubber to the DD than to the downriggers and planerboard I se...

Hmmm but I understod it now. And i se you use wire as line for your DD fishing, the idea here is to get it deeper then?

Are you caughting more fish on DD than on downriggers, and what do you guys think is the adventage of the DD versus the Downriggers?

Sorry for asking so many questions... Maybe I should visit Icelandair and book a ticket to the Great Lakes to se in action how you use this equipment. Insted of bother you with prime knowledge questions..

the line you are using is monophilament then? (not wire or braided line) if thats the case you probably dont need a snubber b/c mono stretches a good bit. As far as DD vs. downrigger they are two different tools that both work well. one day DD might be good. one day down rigger.

TH

Snubbers are shock absorbers you attach to the back of the dipsy to absorb the shock of salvage hits. The absorber prevents the line from breaking. Attach leader after the snubber to your bait, lure or flasher.

Here is a link for Luhr Jensen snubbers: http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0003422111782a.shtml

Here is a link for Opti-Tackle snubbers: http://www.optitackle.com/terminaltackle.shtml

As Nick said. With mono there is no need for a snubber. I don't and alot of us don't with wire. Just set your drag's loose and your good ta go. Wire, braid or mono. Snubber is just more in the water to drag and in my view it impairs the lure action.

Another reason that guys run a snubber with wire isn't necessarily to absorb the shock of the hit, it's for later in the fight with the fish. A mono leader will handle the hit most of the time if it's the right lb. test. L&M and others have been very successful with using just a mono leader for a long time. Just like anything, a snubber has it's pro's and con's. Personally I like to have a snubber for when we have a big fish on wire and it's right at the back of the boat. Since all that's in the water at that point is just a short bit of wire, the dipsy, leader, lure & fish and the rod is generally fairly well loaded up, the snubber helps soften the last minute thrashing that a big fish will do and in my mind it helps keep the hook from tearing out right at the boat. Both ways work though. I've fished on a lot of good boats that don't use a snubber and they do OK without it. You just gotta decide which way works best for you.

Team Helgoya, here are few basic ideas I have from reading your post:

1. The line you are using sounds too light, unless you are using a very small dipsy.

2. It is best to use a reel with a linecounter and rod that is made for dipsy divers

3. Use a rod holder that is made to handle the strain from the dipsy diver

4. Do not use light line from the diver to the bait

5. The combination of a wireline rod, wire line and the dipsy diver is well worth the time and money spent experimenting with it. I would not troll deep water without using them.

6. Use a snubber with a wireline dipsy setup- at least to start with!

P.S. I have family & friends in Sweden & Norway.

Thank you lads! My reels are Tekota 600LC, maybe I should buy one more with 30lb line to the dipsy. I only use the DD in Baltic Sea, Danish territory because of they don't allowed planerboards. So my goal is not to get deep, my goal is to let the lure goes out from the boat and in around 20 feets deep. I see in the link you gave me J.D. that Luhr Jensen have a new Mini Dipsy. It sound perfect for the trolling in the Danish Part of the Baltic Sea, both get the lure away from the boat and down to 20 feets :) The onlu question I have about the Mini Dipsy is: Can it handle the NK mag spoons? You have a weight system who is totaly unknown to me... oz.... Here we use gram and kilo. A mag weight 18,5 gram. If I've calculated right. 1 oz=29,7G. 5/8=0,625 0,625*29,7=18 So can the mini dipsy handle this?

Anyone who knows a store who have both the Mini Dipsy and Gamakatsu hooks?

So I can conclude with... The way I've runned my dipsys are not totaly wrong, and I use mono line, Berkley Big Game. Don't want to have to thick line since In my point of view it's more important the length of the line on the reel than the thicknes. I thnk its better with 1200 feets of 0.38mm than 800 of 0.45mm.

The averance size of the Baltic Sea salmon caught on trolling is around 10-15kg (22-34lb), but you can get in touch with salmon around 20kg (44lb) or if you're extremly lucky 25-28kg (55-62lb)

Last may in Namsfjorden, Mid Norway they caught an Atlantic salmon on 30kg (67lb) and in Altafjord, Northern Norway a salmon was caught in a net 37kg (81,5lb)

bilde?Avis=TS&Dato=20080522&Kategori=LAKS&Lopenr=709763123&Ref=AR&Border=0&MaxW=468&MaxH=640&Q=100

The 67lb and 55lb on the pic are caught in a sientic project and later released to the sea. I guess both were heading for River Namsen

Next late may I'll be there with my boat and some Mini Dipsys

My upset when fishing in the Baltic Sea (Denmark) is 10 rods who is allowed at the competision. 6 rods at the downrigger, 2 rods with small boards (yellow bird type, but with a little keel) who's attatched to the line in same way as dipsys, and 2 rods with slidediver or DD. If I use a slidediver can I get this around 50 feet on each side of the boat and around 15-20 feets deep? Or do I have to adjust a Dipsy to do this? When we tried DD last time we get it a quite distance from the boat at level 5, but we wasn't sure on the deepth of the lure. Our speed when trolling down there is around 2.5knots, down to 2knots if the waters is cold.

Maybe a real expert can chime in on this but I would think that wire or at least a super braid would enable a DD or SD to angle out to the max much better than mono because they have less resistance to the water. I have not tried getting 50' to the side with DD, so I do not know how much 18# test line to let out to get a spoon to run at 20' with the DD maxed out- maybe somebody does?

Another thought, if you can run 2 boards, why not use lead core off them ? You could alternate between 3,4, and 5 colors and you would be sure of the depth you are searching. Then use the slide divers or small dipsy divers to cover the area between the planer lines and the downrigger spread. Maybe you are all ready using leadcore off the inline boards, but if you are not this could be a good addition to the spread.

My upset when fishing in the Baltic Sea (Denmark) is 10 rods who is allowed at the competision. 6 rods at the downrigger, 2 rods with small boards (yellow bird type, but with a little keel) who's attatched to the line in same way as dipsys, and 2 rods with slidediver or DD. If I use a slidediver can I get this around 50 feet on each side of the boat and around 15-20 feets deep? Or do I have to adjust a Dipsy to do this? When we tried DD last time we get it a quite distance from the boat at level 5, but we wasn't sure on the deepth of the lure. Our speed when trolling down there is around 2.5knots, down to 2knots if the waters is cold.

I think you can get 50-60' to the side:

http://www.slidediver.com/depth_chart.htm