Can we fish with 20 mph winds

Hi everybody,

Is it possible to go out on  Lake Ontario if the winds are at about 20 mph? If the winds are from the good side? I might go to Oswego this weekend but they say the winds should come from the side of Oswego, so from the shore to the lake. Would it be possible to fish with winds that strong?

Thank you for your advice. 

Capture.PNG

Edited by fishing junkie

Hi everybody,

Is it possible to go out on  Lake Ontario if the winds are at about 20 mph? If the winds are from the good side? I might go to Oswego this weekend but they say the winds should come from the side of Oswego, so from the shore to the lake. Would it be possible to fish with winds that strong?

Thank you for your advice. 
Capture.thumb.PNG.1e42e578b87a0d4597b2fcb146330338.PNG

Many things to take into account. Size of your boat is important when the wind is blowing that hard. Expect a bumpy ride. The farther you go from shore the rougher it will get. Be cautious . Lake O can be very dangerous. And the water temps at this time of year don’t give you much of a chance if you go in the water my experience tells me if you get to windward in 20 mph winds , you can expect 4-5 foot waves

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

So even if the winds are coming from my shore and I'm fishing in 12 fow, it's going to be a hard time? I have a 19-foot boat, Lund Tyee 2013.

Stay inshore and you will be fine in a 19 ft boat. Don’t forget to have all parties aboard wear a Pfd must be worn till May 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm on the south shore, and with a south wind if I was doing browns and staying tight, I'd send it. But, if you get there and are even 1% hesitant, no Brown is worth the risk. See if u can find a local webcam and keep an eye on it.

Sustained 20 is starting to push it... but I’ve fished a south wind near shore many times. My boat is 26’ and we fish a lot, so we feel comfortable. Always always err on the side of caution though!! If you have any question, don’t go... it’s that simple

The Fishin’ Physician Assistant