3 rod UPDATE

LongLine

12/5/08

Well, I’ve been conversing via email with the NYSDEC. It’s much too long (even for me)to reiterate here, however the bottom line is that the Lake Ontario Unit Leader will include the matter "in discussions with the DEC Regional Fisheries Managers. If they and Albany show some support for it, they can then talk to sportsmen groups."

Obviously it’s not a guarantee but it’s definitely not a flat out rejection. :D:clap::yes: “Every journey starts with a single stepâ€

So I guess the next step is to let the RFMs know there is interest in the 3 rod proposal from us stakeholders.

Anybody got their email addresses?

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Chad - love the smilies...but where's the question mark and what the heck is a "toivo"?

Erby - Thanx.

Landshark - YES. We need to let the NYSDEC Regional Fisheries Managers know that the stakeholders are very much interested in a 3 rod rule.

Anyone - What is the contact info for the Regional Fisheries Managers?????? We need to contact them, just to say "we support it."

Tom B.

(LongLine)

p.s. what the heck is a toivo?

From this site: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7927.html

Region 1 Suffolk and Nassau counties; phone- (631) 444-0280

[email protected]

Region 2 Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island; phone- (718) 482-4022

[email protected]

Region 3 Sullivan, Ulster, Orange, Dutchess, Putnam, Rockland and Westchester counties; phone- (845) 256-3161

[email protected]

Region 4 Montgomery, Otsego, Delaware, Schoharie, Schenectady, Albany, Greene, Rensselaer and Columbia counties; phone- (607) 652-7366

[email protected]

Region 5 Franklin, Clinton, Essex, Hamilton, Warren, Fulton, Saratoga and Washington counties; phone- (518) 897-1333 (Raybrook) or (518) 623-1200 (Warrensburg)

[email protected]

Region 6 Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Lewis, Oneida and Herkimer counties; phone- (315) 785-2263 (Watertown) or (315) 793-2554 (Utica)

[email protected]

Region 7 Oswego, Cayuga, Onondaga, Madison, Tompkins, Cortland, Chenango, Tioga and Broome counties; phone- (607) 753-3095

[email protected]

Region 8 Orleans, Monroe, Wayne, Genesee, Livingston, Ontario, Yates, Seneca, Steuben, Schuyler and Chemung counties; phone- (585) 226-2466

[email protected]

Region 9 Niagara, Erie, Wyoming, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus and Allegany counties; phone- (716) 851-7000 (Buffalo) or (716) 372-0645 (Olean)

[email protected]

Central Office

DEC's Central Office in Albany is mostly administrative in function, with the fisheries staff routinely involved in issues that go beyond the boundaries of one or more regions. Preparation of statewide fish stocking plans, development of statewide fishery management plans, coordination of the statewide boating access program and promulgation of statewide regulations are examples of the items that Central Office staff typically get involved in. For general fisheries questions not specific to a particular region, contact our Central Office staff.

Fisheries Central Office located at 625 Broadway in Albany.

[email protected]

Sent my email out today. ;)

My email & response received today:

>>> "Bob" 12/06/08 10:50 AM >>>

Good morning, I understand there may be discussion on adding a 3 rod limit per person on the open waters of Lake Ontario. I also understand the 3 fish limit per person will also remain the same. As a salmonoid troller I fully support this proposal. I believe it would increase fishing license sales and further enhance the fishing experience on Lake Ontario.

Many times when I cannot find a partner to fish with I will forego the trip because I cannot set up a decent program with only two rods. With the 3 rod proposal, I would not mind fishing alone as it would give me a better spread and would be worthwhile.

I encourage you to support the 3 rod proposal for the open waters of Lake Ontario if it is presented to you.

Thanks, Bob (muskybob)

Proud member of Lake Ontario United

http://www.lakeontariounited.com

Bob,

Three rod/angler proposals have been brought forward in the past, but were not favorably received. We will include your idea in discussions with the DEC Regional Fisheries Managers (RFMs). If there is some support from the RFMs, and Albany staff, we can then advance to discussion with sportmen's groups. Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective.

Regards, Steven Lapan