Saltist 30 question

Spool on 1000' of wire, connect backing, and fill spool. Then, clear the counter on the second reel and wait for all the braid to get reeled onto it and note the line counter number. Repeat that on the empty reel. That's how I do it. If everyone fished full spools we'd all be more accurate when telling buddies where our divers are firing.

Edited by Yankee Troller

Spool on 1000' of wire, connect backing, and fill spool. Then, clear the counter on the second reel and wait for all the braid to get reeled onto it and note the line counter number. Repeat that on the empty reel. That's how I do it. If everyone fished full spools we'd all be more accurate when telling buddies where our divers are firing.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I can tell you for certain that an Okuma Coldwater 30 with 1000' of wire needs backing or the counter will be off. Looks like the Saltist 30 has less line capacity that an Okuma 30. It may end up not needing any backing but your best option is to do what Yankee said and find out for sure. I don't like having braid tied directly to the spool, so if you do end up needing backing I would use some mono instead of braid imo.

Edited by FishingFool34

10 minutes ago, FishingFool34 said:

I can tell you for certain that an Okuma Coldwater 30 with 1000' of wire needs backing or the counter will be off. Looks like the Saltist 30 has less line capacity that an Okuma 30. It may end up not needing any backing but your best option is to do what Yankee said and find out for sure. I don't like having braid tied directly to the spool, so if you do end up needing backing I would use some mono instead of braid imo.

If you want to put braid on the spool tie your know and then electrical tape the first wrap or two of line onto the spool.

1 hour ago, FishingFool34 said:

Coldwater 303DS 1 wrap electrical tape across spool before wire & knot. Then pass tape across with wire wrapped in tape and 1000' of Bloodrun fills spool perfect. 

15 hours ago, rookie fisherman said:

Coldwater 303DS 1 wrap electrical tape across spool before wire & knot. Then pass tape across with wire wrapped in tape and 1000' of Bloodrun fills spool perfect. 

Well I don't know how much tape you put on your spool or if bloodrun wire is different than the AFW camo wire but I ended up needing almost 100yds of 20lb backing to get my counters to be right. I literally just spooled these reels 2 days ago, first reel I put the whole 1000ft of wire on. Measured out 100ft in my yard and walked it and the line counter did not read 100. So I added backing on top until it was right and then reeled it onto my 2nd reel. I don't remember the exact number I used for backing but it was very close to 100yds.

8 minutes ago, FishingFool34 said:

Well I don't know how much tape you put on your spool or if bloodrun wire is different than the AFW camo wire but I ended up needing almost 100yds of 20lb backing to get my counters to be right. I literally just spooled these reels 2 days ago, first reel I put the whole 1000ft of wire on. Measured out 100ft in my yard and walked it and the line counter did not read 100. So I added backing on top until it was right and then reeled it onto my 2nd reel. I don't remember the exact number I used for backing but it was very close to 100yds.

The Blood run certainly could be a little different/thicker. I spooled 3 of them up last week and have 1 more left to do. 

1 layer of tape across spool before wire. The second pass wrapped with wire but following the line guide so its overlapped. So it might equal 3 layers or so. 

Agreed. You need backing behind your wire on okuma 30 series reels in order to fill the spool to capacity. The four I just did I used 400' of 25# mono.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

59 minutes ago, Last One said:

How about a Shimono 700? How many yards/ feet of 30lb Mono?

Don't know that but it's easy to figure out. Assuming you're gonna do two identical reels with wire (since most ppl do them in pairs)… tape wire to your spool, reel on all 1000ft of wire, attach mono and reel until spool looks full, measure out 100ft, walk out those 100ft adding/removing mono until reel says 100 when you're at the 100ft mark. Zero out counter on 2nd reel, reel all the mono off 1st reel onto 2nd reel, note the number on the counter when mono ends ('X'), reel everything onto the 2nd reel. Now reel that 'X' amount of mono onto the first reel, attach wire and reel all of it onto first reel. Now you have 2 tuned reels with the right amount of backing.

just a guess but you're prolly gonna need in the ballpark of 600+ft of 30lb mono, since a shimano 700 is larger than an okuma 30.

Edited by FishingFool34