Problem with Otter Boards

Hi Guys, need some help with setting my lines on my Otter boards. Tried several different releases but all seem very sluggish getting them to slide easily down the tow line. The line reels and pulleys (Big Jon Manuals) are mounted on the top of my cockpit frame on my 21’ Walkaround and My Otters All have double keels and the angle of the board’s attachment line is tied per the recommended 9” font and 14” rear angle. I must be missing something.

Any advice is greatly appreciated !

Thanks-Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I hose off the tow lines with silicone spray every month or so to facilitate the releases sliding down. Instead of dacron, some people use 200lb mono for tow lines which is more slippery. It also has the added benefit of acting as a shock absorber too. Raising the pulleys higher would be the more difficult but obvious option. Tight lines...8-]

-Steve D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mrk61 said:

Hi Guys, need some help with setting my lines on my Otter boards. Tried several different releases but all seem very sluggish getting them to slide easily down the tow line. The line reels and pulleys (Big Jon Manuals) are mounted on the top of my cockpit frame on my 21’ Walkaround and My Otters All have double keels and the angle of the board’s attachment line is tied per the recommended 9” font and 14” rear angle. I must be missing something.

Any advice is greatly appreciated !

Thanks-Mike

What are you using for your tow line?

I’m using the stock line that came with the Big Jon reel. Orange line, I believe it’s 150lb Dacron.

There's the issue. Dacron sucks. Make the switch to braid and you will never look back. I'm using 200# power pro. It doesn't stretch, it doesn't sag, it doesn't absorb water, and releases slide with ease.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Legacy said:

There's the issue. Dacron sucks. Make the switch to braid and you will never look back. I'm using 200# power pro. It doesn't stretch, it doesn't sag, it doesn't absorb water, and releases slide with ease.

Rob, do you have a source for power pro tow line?  

• 4 weeks later...

FYI. Keep a pair of leather gloves on board in case you snag something on one of the Otters and you have to hand over hand it back in. Happened to us last week after snagging a stick/branch.   :swear:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gill-T said:

Pull it towards you about 4 strips and let the towline go. The dead stopped board will usually shed the branch. 

Usually being the key word there.  ;-)

On 4/20/2019 at 4:04 PM, Legacy said:

are you using the regular Power Pro or the downrigger? Color?

I just set up a pair of otter boards and found the 9 by 14 rope length to have a tendency to pull more towards the boat.When we were done for the day we tried some different lengths.We found that on my set up 10 by 13 pulled away from the boat and ran much better.Mine were already modified according to Big Jons specs for pulling copper with the extra keel.I will be putting braid on real soon.

I recently added the second keel and also added aluminum strapping to all the stress points to keep the hardware from pulling out of the foam material. So far, I’ve pulled 300 Coppers with them and they performed great! I use the small orange speed clips from Amish Outfitters and made a loop with 5 or 6 twists and snapped the braid on. Clips slide down the 500# Test Amish Spectra toe line very Nicely!
Mike

PS-Shout Out to Rich Nau from Praying Mantis Charters for recommending the Amish tow line! [emoji2]

I love the Amish 500#.

Update since last post, switched the line to Amish Outfiters 500# Test Spectra two line and made a slight adjustment to the harness angle on the boards and problems solved! Clips slide nicely down the line now!
Thanks again for the advice! [emoji2]

Mike

Silverfoxcharters.net