Help with new rod holder setup

Jjanm77

Maybe I should've titled this help spend my money, but here goes.  It's time to upgrade/replace the rod holders from the original owner.  After reading as many old threads as I could find on this, I'm coming to the community here for your expertise.  As you can see there are Driftmaster and Scotty/Cabela's holders from the original owner.  They work fine but not really ideal or secure for trolling.  Hopefully the pictures show enough.  I'm thinking either 24 or 36" track for Cannon or Cisco rod holders.  Maybe down the line adding a tree, but definitely not this year.  Or another thought was adding a Big Jon multiple set near where the old Scotty is.  I know I read an old thread on track length for certain setups at one point but can't find it again.  What length of track would be ideal for running 2 rod holders for now, and either adding another or a tree?  Does the 24" or 36" allow that?   I want some flexibility with moving things around but I don't want the landing strip look up and down.  I know everyone has their preference for track and rod holder systems.  I'm leaning more toward Cannon holders and Cisco track as they seem to be the most for your dollar with good customer service.  Thanks all for your advice and experience in advance.  

Jeff

IMG_2684.JPG

IMG_2685.JPG

I like a longer track so I can space my holders out. I started with a 24" but didnt have enough spacing for 3 rods running dipsy's. so I added another 24". now I have room for 3 rods and one for the net. you cant go wrong with the longer track. 

I have the cannon  single axis ratcheting holders and they are the best holder you can get in my opinion. I tried the double axis but the left to right adjustment was from one pin hole to another. the single axis is as much or as little as you want.

3 hours ago, Jjanm77 said:

Maybe I should've titled this help spend my money, but here goes.  It's time to upgrade/replace the rod holders from the original owner.  After reading as many old threads as I could find on this, I'm coming to the community here for your expertise.  As you can see there are Driftmaster and Scotty/Cabela's holders from the original owner.  They work fine but not really ideal or secure for trolling.  Hopefully the pictures show enough.  I'm thinking either 24 or 36" track for Cannon or Cisco rod holders.  Maybe down the line adding a tree, but definitely not this year.  Or another thought was adding a Big Jon multiple set near where the old Scotty is.  I know I read an old thread on track length for certain setups at one point but can't find it again.  What length of track would be ideal for running 2 rod holders for now, and either adding another or a tree?  Does the 24" or 36" allow that?   I want some flexibility with moving things around but I don't want the landing strip look up and down.  I know everyone has their preference for track and rod holder systems.  I'm leaning more toward Cannon holders and Cisco track as they seem to be the most for your dollar with good customer service.  Thanks all for your advice and experience in advance.  

Jeff

Tough to have it both ways. 

My feeling as I think most would agree. If you are putting in a track system put as long as you can fit. It just gives you more options for positioning & repositioning of rod holders and other equipment. I have multiple tracks on my boat for rod holders, down riggers, net holders, cup holders, tool caddy etc.

I position my holders differently for early spring browns vs summer fishing for kings when running dipsys etc. Track system gives you the versatility to do this with ease.  

As for what brands its a matter of personal preference. I have Cisco tracks, Cisco & Traxstech rod holders. Cisco service is second to none. I had them make a few custom items and all went smooth with the process.  

• Like 1

Jeff. When I mounted my tracks, I installed a 3 foot section, left an 8 inch space, then a 2 foot section forward of that. It allows me to load items from the middle rather than just the ends of one long track. 1693206818_boatandtrack.thumb.jpg.718450c2d77f80df082270adc76861a7.jpg

Edited by J.D.
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 7:56 PM, J.D. said:

Jeff. When I mounted my tracks, I installed a 3 foot section, left an 8 inch space, then a 2 foot section forward of that. It allows me to load items from the middle rather than just the ends of one long track. 1693206818_boatandtrack.thumb.jpg.718450c2d77f80df082270adc76861a7.jpg

thats the way I mounted my two 24" tracks but I only left about a 5" gap. its easy to remove the rod holders this way. and I believe its better to have to much track than to not have enough.

Edited by sherman brown

Thanks for your replies.  I like the idea of adding two separate tracks and the option of adding a smaller section this year, and another down the line. Eventually I want to get the riggers off the back, like you have JD.  My Trophy 175 may be a similar layout to yours so I like this idea.  Really appreciate your time here.  I'll update as I go along.  

JD, I like that setup. I’d eventually like to get my rigger off the back to not have to lean out so far, especially this time of year. It looks like two sections of 24” track will what can fit for me. I can add another 12” on the back if needed maybe to run a line down the chute.

When installing track, does everyone use some type of backer plate? Plywood, aluminum plate, something else? Is it necessary? Perhaps better safe than sorry?

Appreciate everyone’s input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you are going to be running riggers its probably best to use some type of backing plate or maybe fender washers. I just have my tracks mounted with ss screws screwed into the fiber glass. works great for running 3 dipsy's on each side. however I did run 2 big jon 48" boom with 12# weights last yr on one trip. didnt have any problems at all. but it was a one time thing. if I decide to run them all the time i'll switch to machine screws and put fender washers and nuts on my tracks.

Thanks, Sherman.  I'll just run divers and boards off the track for at least this year.  The Scotty holders have done ok without a backing plate but I sweat it out every time I put a rod in the plastic.  

• 2 months later...

Kind of got detoured with life, kids’ end of school year and spring sports, etc but finally got the new setup on. Priority this year was moving the riggers off the back where it was difficult to get to and operate, and also adding a couple rod holders on each side. I’ll have the flexibility to add more track down the road, but already this is better and a safer way to move things around. Thanks to everyone for their ideas. After debating all the options, pricing it all out, I went with Cisco track, their pedestal track mount, and their downrigger adapter plate to use with my existing swivel mount. Rod holders are the Cannon dual axis that are a huge improvement. The clincher in finalizing the setup was having a big laker on a diver several weeks ago and my wife can’t get the rod out of the old rod holder. She says, “You need better rod holders, I can’t use this.” Lol
IMG_2863.jpgIMG_2865.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

the setup looks great. I was going to switch to traxstech holders because they have 17 up and down adjustments. but after selling my cannons and buying a traxstech off ebay I decided I liked the one hand operation better on the cannon than the adjustments on the traxstech holders. so I had to buy the cannon back. plus the cannon single axes holders are 74.00 at hodgesmarine.com where the best price I found for traxstech was 131.00.

I like the single axis better than the double. the double adjust side to side from one hole to the next whereas the single adjusts as little or as much as I want. plus the single is usually cheaper. I got mine at hodgesmarine.com for 74.00 with free shipping.

Looks good Jeff. You will find it easier to net fish on the corners with the downriggers in that location. I often swivel the downrigger boom forward with the weight still in the water  to gain a bit more netting room.